Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail keeps asking me for a password to a business email account that no longer exists.

The service provider account has ceased. All the business email accounts have been deleted from Preferences-Mail-Accounts. Yet it still blocks any activity on mail until I click on the 'cancel' option in the window that it presents. This is so annoying - has anyone an idea for a resolution?

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 10:38 AM

You probably have that account still somewhere you'd not normally look, like in the list of SMTP servers.

In the Mail preferences, select Accounts, then select one account, and under Server Settings, click the popup menu and choose Edit SMTP Server list... and see if it there; if it is, delete it.

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 12, 2022 11:43 AM in response to Toast Horizon

Luis has good advice. Also, if you haven't already done so, open System Preferences, Internet Accounts, and look there for the business email account that you want to remove. You may have to remove it from there also. There are buttons with "-" and "+" to remove and add accounts. Sometimes these accounts remain active even after being removed from within Mail Preferences-Accounts because there are other services (Calendar, Notes, etc.) that were on or linked to the email account and are persisting even after the email account is gone.

Mac Mail keeps asking me for a password to a business email account that no longer exists.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.