Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't Apple TV connect with iTunes ?

Here's the thing.

I'm an irregular user of my Apple TV (3rd generation) last time, say 6 months ago.

SO.. I went to use it a couple of days a go to cast a movie file and Apple TV does not see my iTunes library.

I connected Applecare on a few occasions and I spent an inordinate amount of time with two Apple techs to no avail.

We did everything, off/on with sharing on both devices several times.

Apple TV has been reset, been restored, restarted. All connections unplugged and replugged to PC, Modem, Wi-Fi router.. EVERYTHING.

Anti-virus turned off. Windows firewall off. STILL no joy. Home Sharing is NOT seen by Apple TV.

TV set connects to wi-fi perfectly, (netflix etc.) internet is smooth and fast.

PC is connected to wi-fi via ethernet cable. Both PC and Apple TV are on the same network.

I was told we have exhausted all troubleshooting scenarios. Also that Apple engineering will be able to assist due to the age of the device.

THIS essentially means 'go buy a new one, we want more money out of you'.

Anyone know what is going on here.

I'm pulling whats left of my hair out!!

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 30, 2022 9:34 PM

5 replies

May 1, 2022 1:45 AM in response to lizrdking

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

Use the Computers app to access the shared library on the networked computer.

For investigative testing, please try the reverse (AirPlay push vs Home Sharing pull), as that uses the same networking connectivity. That will let us know if the networking connection between the two is fully functional (without relying on Home Sharing settings). Get an audio file into your iTunes library, e.g. mp3 or m4a. Use the ‘AirPlay’ button (Audio Output Controls) to select an AirPlay (or Bluetooth) speaker, in this case the Apple TV box, if detected on the network.

• If that works, then you won’t have to doubt your network settings for this issue, and we can concentrate on app settings.
  • If that doesn’t work, then you’ll have to change something in your home network, for both AirPlay and Home Sharing to be able to work.

Let us know how that goes.

May 2, 2022 7:03 PM in response to lizrdking

"Can your iPhone’s TV app access Home Shared videos from the PC?"--------NO
"Can your iPhone’s Music app access Home Shared music from the PC?"--------NO

Based on this, the LAN connectivity issue is likely with the computer (or iTunes application). Then the Apple TV box is likely just fine.

Is the Apple TV box still properly activated? If not, then it would be mentioned in Settings﹥General﹥About﹥Activation: Failed."-------THROUGH THAT PATH AN THE END THERE IS NO 'ACTIVATION' ITEM.

Then the activation (registering with an account) of the Apple TV box is fine. Jay!

A tech will be contacting me today …

I hope you find it. Good luck!

May 2, 2022 4:31 AM in response to lizrdking

In your image it shows 'Computer' and 'Apple TV 3'... I only have one, for computer.

Thanks, that is what I wanted to find out. The iTunes application is then currently not able to detect the Apple TV box on the home network.

I can Airplay to TV with my phone, no issues there.

Thank you, that is useful information.

As a test, please try home sharing from the iPhone (instead of the Apple TV box). Can your iPhone’s TV app access Home Shared videos from the PC? Can your iPhone’s Music app access Home Shared music from the PC? If that works, then it confirms that iTunes on the PC is fully functional for Home Sharing.

The Tech advised that it was most likely due to an update software in iTunes or Apple TV.

I am of a different opinion. It should still work, as it does for many other users. I would advise to keep your software up-to-date on all devices.

Download and use iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

Update your Apple TV - Apple Support

What needs to change?

Possibly the PC blocks certain ports or network connections. But you said that any such services were disabled on testing.

Possibly the router stopped bridging locally for certain device connections. Have you tried restarting the router? Have you checked for router settings that may influence local routing? (E.g. so-called Guest-networks will offer internet access without local connectivity between devices.)

Does the Apple TV box work for other services than the Computers app? Can you access the iTunes Store Movies ‘app’ and browse there? If you have purchases there, can you play them directly on the Apple TV box (no AirPlay)? Is the Apple TV box still properly activated? If not, then it would be mentioned in Settings﹥General﹥About﹥Activation: Failed.

On the Apple TV box, in Settings﹥AirPlay﹥, are you signed in with the same Apple ID as used in the Home Sharing setting in the iTunes application on the PC? Only matching accounts can do home sharing.

May 1, 2022 2:07 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks Urquhart1244...

There is no Airplay button, or volume control.... THAT is the main issue.

As an Apple tech advised that will automatically appear when the PC and Apple TV are talking to each other.

Everything works as should with both iTunes and Apple TV...EXCEPT the two connecting with each other.

In your image it shows 'Computer' and 'Apple TV 3' , (the volume controls).. I only have one, for computer.

I have tried to attach and image but am told "There is an error occurred while loading this image. Please try again later."

I can Airplay to TV with my phone, no issues there.

You say:

If that doesn’t work, then you’ll have to change something in your home network, for both AirPlay and Home Sharing to be able to work.

What needs to change? The network is the same as it has always been.

Might I add this a new phenomenon. For years I had no trouble casting from PC to Apple TV.

The Tech advised that it was most likely due to an update software in iTunes or Apple TV. Totally unacceptable.

Regards

MK

May 2, 2022 2:23 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for the time here Urquhart1244.

OK ..one by one:

"Can your iPhone’s TV app access Home Shared videos from the PC?"--------NO

"Can your iPhone’s Music app access Home Shared music from the PC?"--------NO

"Have you tried restarting the router?"--------- ALL SYSTEM DEVICES(PC, ROUTER, MODEM,APPLE TV) HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED & RESTARTED. APPLE TV RESTORED.

"Have you checked for router settings that may influence local routing?"---------I HAVE NO IDEA ON HOW TO CHECK ROUTER SETTINGS. I SPOKE WITH MY INTERNET PROVIDER AND CONFITMED THAT WHEN THE ROUTER IS CONNECTED VIA ETHERNET CABLE IT CONNECTS AUTOMATICALLY TO THE 5G NETWORK, THE SAME NETWORK SHOWING IN THE APPLE TV SETTINGS.

"Does the Apple TV box work for other services than the Computers app?"--------ALL SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE

"Can you access the iTunes Store Movies ‘app’ and browse there?"---------YES ON BOTH DEVICES (APPLE TV & PC) I HAVE NO PURCHASES. I BOUGHT AND USE APPLE TV SOLEY FOR CONNECTING AND CASTING ITUNES.

"Is the Apple TV box still properly activated? If not, then it would be mentioned in Settings﹥General﹥About﹥Activation: Failed."-------THROUGH THAT PATH AN THE END THERE IS NO 'ACTIVATION' ITEM.

"On the Apple TV box, in Settings﹥AirPlay﹥, are you signed in with the same Apple ID as used in the Home Sharing setting in the iTunes application on the PC?"---------YES

A tech will be contacting me today after reviewing Apple's history with technical assistance with me. A few months back I had an issue with my iTunes library and was taken through many steps with them. Who knows what happened during that assistance.

Thanks for your help here.

MK

Why doesn't Apple TV connect with iTunes ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.