Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone stolen and screen lock pin compromised, what they can do?

Hello,

my partner's iPhone 12 was stolen 15 days ago. She set it as "Lost" into the Find My application, made a police report and reported to the telephone company. She did not request a "Device data deletion" on the Find My application.

Yesterday my partner received a phishing sms asking for her screen lock pin and she introduced it :/

Immediately the device doesn't show anymore into the Find My application.

She has changed the passwords for all delicate apps: mail, instagram, paypal, icloud..

We are worried that now the thieves can access to personal information as SMS or pictures. Is this true?

What do they can do? So we can be ready

Can the police or Apple do something to block this phone?

Thanks for the support

Posted on May 1, 2022 3:13 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

May 1, 2022 1:36 PM in response to Smilin-Brian

Hello @Smilin-Brian, thanks for the tips.

1. Follow these important steps.

We did this already, the iPhone was set as "Lost" on "Find My".

After the thieves got the screen lock pin the device doesn't appear any more in the "Find My".. It looks like they disconnected the device from our account.

2. Call 1-800-MY-APPLE.

We are located in Germany, how can we find the Germany support phone?

3. Learn how to file a claim.

As I understand this only applies if you are "AppleCare+", we are not. Should we file a claim even if we are no "AppleCare+" :?

4. Get Support.

I did, but every time I go through this page I end in the same page you mention on point 1. "Follow these important steps."

5. Download the Apple Support app.

How this can help?

Thanks again

May 2, 2022 10:41 AM in response to fguillen

Yes, but if they have the screen lock passcode, and it's a trusted device on the iCloud account and they have access to the email account used for the Apple ID, they can reset the password for the account, allowing them to remove the activation lock.

I suspect your partner got suckered into logging into their iCloud account at a bogus sign in screen in addition to giving up the passcode.

iPhone stolen and screen lock pin compromised, what they can do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.