Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hack IPhone after robbery

Hi community,

I have the following problem: My second phone (IPhone SE, 2nd generation) got robbed. So far so bad, I locked the phone via "Find My". However, somehow the thief could unlock it and, even further, hack my phone in order to get unblock it, i.e. which is, according to Apple´s guidelines, only possible via fingerprint or code (for that IPhone generation). I only perceived this development when I suddenly got a confirmation email that "I requested to some PayPal contacts to send me money". Obviously, I instantly changed all my passwords for several apps and "erased" the underlying stolen Phone (again via "Find My") - which supposedly should have deleted all my data, media and settings from the underlying phone.

My remaining doubt now is to what extent is my privacy exposed, as my Apple ID is still connected to the other phone (however, with changed password also for the apple id with the rationale that the theft efficiently can´t use it)? Also, please share if somebody experienced something similar. Thank you.

Cheers!

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 30, 2022 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 11:39 AM

Did you receive a message or email from “Apple” saying your phone had been found, with a link to click to see its location? If you did, sadly, that message wasn’t from Apple, it was a phishing message from the thief (not matter how authentic it looked), and when you entered your Apple ID and password you gave the thief the keys to the kingdom.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2022 11:39 AM in response to Hexacampeao2022

Did you receive a message or email from “Apple” saying your phone had been found, with a link to click to see its location? If you did, sadly, that message wasn’t from Apple, it was a phishing message from the thief (not matter how authentic it looked), and when you entered your Apple ID and password you gave the thief the keys to the kingdom.

Jul 31, 2022 9:36 AM in response to muguy

To my knowledge, "phishing" is an attempt to access data, e.g. by falsified emails. In my underlying case, I checked my PayPal account through another device and it was indeed authentic - the requests asking for money were made through the app. Given that, somebody hacked my phone/fingerprint (which one need in order to access the mobile PayPal app).

Aug 1, 2022 6:18 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hi Lawrence,

Thanks a lot, you got it straight to the point, unfortunately this was the case. In my specific case, I got a text message via Whatsapp, which seemed rock solid. It was telling that "my Iphone had been localized and so on and that, in a further sequence, may log onto my ICloud". Unfortunately I didn´t have any concerns at that time, given the hassle. Subsequently, those attempted transaction via PayPal were made - gladly I instantly changed all my passwords, including password for Apple ID.

May this be a lesson for me and everyone else who is reading that. Thanks! Take care!

Best,

Hack IPhone after robbery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.