Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Startup from internal drive when external startup is no longer desired?

My 2009 iMac (El Capitan 10.11.6) is currently running off a 6TB external drive. How do I make it so it will run off its own 1TB internal drive? When I select the startup disk in system preferences I cannot see another option. The 1TB drive is enough to sustain the OS and my files so I'd like to get the 6TB drive back for other duty. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 1, 2022 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2022 1:02 PM

System Preferences > Startup Disk. Unlock, choose the internal and restart.

If the internal drive is not there, open Disk Utilities and look for it there. If not mounted, mount it and reboot, then do the startup disk selection.

Sitting unused should have not damaged it, but it may be damaged, in need of first aid or in need of reformatting. Only you know what condition it was in when you switched.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2022 1:02 PM in response to Sideshowdad

System Preferences > Startup Disk. Unlock, choose the internal and restart.

If the internal drive is not there, open Disk Utilities and look for it there. If not mounted, mount it and reboot, then do the startup disk selection.

Sitting unused should have not damaged it, but it may be damaged, in need of first aid or in need of reformatting. Only you know what condition it was in when you switched.

How to Startup from internal drive when external startup is no longer desired?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.