Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have iTunes version 12.10.11 on Windows 8, but when I try to update my iPhone, a message says that I need to update to the latest version of iTunes. As far as I know this is the latest version!

How do I update my iPhone on iTunes when I get this message.

I have reinstalled iTunes and it is version 12.10.11.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on May 1, 2022 7:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2022 12:59 PM

I believe support for Windows 8 ended in 2016, but even though Windows 8.1 is still supported, its availability ceased in 2013, so it is quite an old operating system and you can hardly expect Apple to keep supporting an operating system that is used by less than 4% of all Windows users. Don't forget, of that small number of users, not all of them use iTunes.

Regarding a more suitable message, personally I'd like to see one that didn't have to be updated every time a new release of iTunes came out. How about "your computer has the latest version of iTunes that can run on Windows 8"?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2022 12:59 PM in response to Ian-G123

I believe support for Windows 8 ended in 2016, but even though Windows 8.1 is still supported, its availability ceased in 2013, so it is quite an old operating system and you can hardly expect Apple to keep supporting an operating system that is used by less than 4% of all Windows users. Don't forget, of that small number of users, not all of them use iTunes.

Regarding a more suitable message, personally I'd like to see one that didn't have to be updated every time a new release of iTunes came out. How about "your computer has the latest version of iTunes that can run on Windows 8"?

May 2, 2022 3:43 AM in response to Ian-G123

Apple's message is misleading.

iTunes 12.10.11 is the latest version that will run on a Windows 7 or Windows 8 PC. Their message should make this clear, but that's not Apple's way.

iOS 15 requires the latest version of iTunes, which is (on the day of writing) is 12.12.3.5. Perhaps it is time to update to Windows 10 or Windows 11.

May 2, 2022 7:41 PM in response to the fiend

Thanks for your reply.

I have a Windows 10 machine but it crashed, so I am rebuilding it so that I can update my iPhone OS.

It's strange that Apple can't provide the same iTunes version for Windows 8 machines, which are still supported by Microsoft. Does Apple want me to spend money at Microsoft?

The error message should say that to update iOS 15 that I need iTunes version 12.12.3.5 rather than just say the "latest version".

May 4, 2022 4:16 PM in response to the fiend

Thanks again for your comments. Actually, Microsoft support for Windows 8.1 continues until January 10, 2023. My WIndows 8.1 machine is superfast and I am delaying updating it, because I know that Win 10 or 11 will slow it down.

My Windows 10 machine rebuild is not going well after it crashed. I've got iTunes 12.12.3.5 running but it fails to complete the iOS update on the phone. Maybe today I'll make it work.

My thoughts about the error message are that if they are making changes to the software version, it's part of the quality management process to update relevant error messages. By the way I've worked in the industry for over 30 years and error messages were part of my responsibilities.

I have iTunes version 12.10.11 on Windows 8, but when I try to update my iPhone, a message says that I need to update to the latest version of iTunes. As far as I know this is the latest version!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.