Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get my IMessage and FaceTime to be sending/receiving from my phone Number and not my email?

I recently switch IPhone from a XR to a IPhone 11 as my old IPhone will no longer sign or turn on… I switched over my SIM card to the new IPhone and set up my ICloud but for some reason my IMessage and FaceTime will not connect to my phone number rather than my email.

I have tried waiting 24 hours along side resetting my IPhone, resetting my ICloud password, connecting to strong wifi, etc,. The message I receive each time is “An error occurred during activation. Please try again later”. Could this be because my last IPhone is still “connected” in a way?

This is super frustrating and hope someone can help

iPhone 11

Posted on May 2, 2022 4:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2022 5:26 PM

To activate iMessage and FaceTime using your Phone number

First, check to know whether you have an SMS plan enabled at least for One SMS with your carrier. Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider) the agency that issued the SIM to you

If your iPhone is used with a carrier not found in the wireless carrier articles, make sure you can send and receive international SMS. (One SMS Only)

If you can't turn on or sign in to iMessage or FaceTime - Apple ...

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2022 5:26 PM in response to SyerN

To activate iMessage and FaceTime using your Phone number

First, check to know whether you have an SMS plan enabled at least for One SMS with your carrier. Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider) the agency that issued the SIM to you

If your iPhone is used with a carrier not found in the wireless carrier articles, make sure you can send and receive international SMS. (One SMS Only)

If you can't turn on or sign in to iMessage or FaceTime - Apple ...

How do I get my IMessage and FaceTime to be sending/receiving from my phone Number and not my email?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.