Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot add a new contact to Contacts.

I can enter the first and last name in the contacts form, but as soon as I move down the page the new contact window closes. I do not hit return or do anything else that might cause it to close. A new contact is not created. I can enter new contacts on my iPhone and then move them to my Mac. I have used Onyx to clean the files and, of course, restarted (MacBook Pro 16", 12.3.1 Contacts version 2498.4.) Any help would be appreciated.c

Jim's 16" MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on May 2, 2022 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2022 9:13 AM

Lobsterghost may be unaware of it, but this is a problem that has persisted for me and for others (there's a good number of similar posts from over the years) for several years. Maybe 3-4 years, on my part, over that many operating systems. The problem seems not to be taken seriously, unfortunately, although it is a vexing one.

My trick is usually to try to quickly add at least the first name and hit "save" before it closes the new entry window. Then, after about the fifth time, it will actually have saved it, and I can open it for editing. This is true after running various cleanup operations as described in other posts. So... let's just go have a lobster roll and a beer and call it a day. :)

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2022 9:13 AM in response to James Wilson7

Lobsterghost may be unaware of it, but this is a problem that has persisted for me and for others (there's a good number of similar posts from over the years) for several years. Maybe 3-4 years, on my part, over that many operating systems. The problem seems not to be taken seriously, unfortunately, although it is a vexing one.

My trick is usually to try to quickly add at least the first name and hit "save" before it closes the new entry window. Then, after about the fifth time, it will actually have saved it, and I can open it for editing. This is true after running various cleanup operations as described in other posts. So... let's just go have a lobster roll and a beer and call it a day. :)

May 4, 2022 5:40 PM in response to lobsterghost1

OK, I talked with Apple support this evening and want to report the problem is solved. I had been using my University of Maine Google account as the default account in Contact-> preferences-> general; switching the default to iCloud appears to have solved the problem.

Now if you want to try your beer and lobster rolls four hours east of Ougunquit and 45 minutes by boat to Isle au Haut, let me know. Roz's lobster wagon makes some of the best going.

Cannot add a new contact to Contacts.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.