Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes are greyed out in macOS Monterey 12.3.1

I cannot add a new note in the above version. It is greyed out

Posted on May 3, 2022 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2022 12:03 PM

FYI and others that may have this problem. I found another solution that worked. I Opened system preferences, clicked on Icloud, unclicked "Notes" in the menu to right, waited a minute and then clicke "Notes" again to sync it with Icloud. Closed settings and opened notes. It worked: I can add notes now!

Bruce

5 replies

May 3, 2022 7:11 AM in response to JbnFlorida-boy

1 - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps is the order that have been presents  and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.

The user means the Create New Note as per below does not allow so.

Notes are greyed out in macOS Monterey 12.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.