Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't play music on iTunes

When I try to play any song through iTunes it says my computer isn't authorized and asks me to login. I then login and it says this computer was previously authorized and has been re-authorized. I then click on a song again to play it and starts from the beginning about authorizing the computer and logging in and just keeps repeating the same steps. Also when I click on some of older songs the Apple ID that is pre-filled is one I stopped using 10 years ago.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 3, 2022 8:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2022 7:33 AM

Repeated requests to authorize an already authorized computer for store downloads typically indicates you have corrupt or incomplete copies. Backup and then delete the tracks that won't play from your library without hiding from your purchase history. Redownload using the cloud links that should remain, or close iTunes and reopen if they don't show up straight away. While downloading click the activity widget and turn off the option that allows for simultaneous downloads.

If that hasn't helped see If iTunes for Windows prompts you to authorize your computer when you try to play purchases - Apple Support.

Regarding the old ID see If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support. You can authorize your computer for multiple IDs.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2022 7:33 AM in response to runrebel2

Repeated requests to authorize an already authorized computer for store downloads typically indicates you have corrupt or incomplete copies. Backup and then delete the tracks that won't play from your library without hiding from your purchase history. Redownload using the cloud links that should remain, or close iTunes and reopen if they don't show up straight away. While downloading click the activity widget and turn off the option that allows for simultaneous downloads.

If that hasn't helped see If iTunes for Windows prompts you to authorize your computer when you try to play purchases - Apple Support.

Regarding the old ID see If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support. You can authorize your computer for multiple IDs.

tt2

May 4, 2022 8:24 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the info. I tried all three items in the link you provided and none of them worked. However I didn't try the first one that you explained which was "Backup and then delete the tracks that won't play from your library without hiding from your purchase history. Redownload using the cloud links that should remain." I don't understand what that means what are the steps involved in that?

May 5, 2022 2:35 AM in response to runrebel2

Prior to 2010 Apple sold DRM laden tracks on a one time only download basis. You didn't get to redownload them, and Apple weren't necessarily keeping a record. The ability to redownload past purchases is also dependent on the content still being in the store. Sometimes rights holders remove content.

It might vary somewhat by version of iTunes but when you delete a purchased item you should get a prompt asking if you also want to send the deleted item to the recycle bin, and then possibly another prompt asking if you want to hide the purchase from your purchase history. You would say no to this second prompt. Current versions of iTunes will show cloud links for any unhidden purchases that you haven't downloaded, which will let you stream the item from Apple's servers, or download it to your library. You can use these steps to refresh you copies of purchases that won't play correctly, but that is only going to help if the content is visible in the purchase history. For older items you might have to treat those the same way you would a lost physical disc, replacing with a new purchase if you want to.

tt2

Can't play music on iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.