Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI adapter

Hi, I have a MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017) using macOS Monterey version 12.3.1 and I recently purchased a projector and would like to find out which adapter I should purchase for HDMI. I purchased a usb type 3.0 HDMI adapter and it does not work and I saw here that it was not enough for a MCBook Pro and that a Belkin 4K Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter would work. Before I purchase that, I would like to know if that would be compatible for a my MacBook Air? Thanks.

Posted on May 3, 2022 11:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2022 11:09 PM

lesedi33 Said:

"HDMI adapter: Hi, I have a MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017) using macOS Monterey version 12.3.1 and I recently purchased a projector and would like to find out which adapter I should purchase for HDMI. I purchased a usb type 3.0 HDMI adapter and it does not work. [...]Before I purchase that, I would like to know if that would be compatible for a my MacBook Air? Thanks."

-------

Which Adapter to Use:

For a 2017 Mac, 4K is iffy. So, verify if you can use 4K through what is provided here: Learn about using 4K displays, 5K displays, and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac - Apple Support. If so, the proceed with that adapter.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2022 11:09 PM in response to lesedi33

lesedi33 Said:

"HDMI adapter: Hi, I have a MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017) using macOS Monterey version 12.3.1 and I recently purchased a projector and would like to find out which adapter I should purchase for HDMI. I purchased a usb type 3.0 HDMI adapter and it does not work. [...]Before I purchase that, I would like to know if that would be compatible for a my MacBook Air? Thanks."

-------

Which Adapter to Use:

For a 2017 Mac, 4K is iffy. So, verify if you can use 4K through what is provided here: Learn about using 4K displays, 5K displays, and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac - Apple Support. If so, the proceed with that adapter.

May 3, 2022 11:11 PM in response to lesedi33

My advice is to go to the Apple website and purchase what they have to offer. Nobody can assure you of compatibility; the best we can do is tell you the likelihood of compatibility. And what Apple sells for its own computers is likely going to be compatible. No two computers, even identical ones, are perfectly alike and an Apple supplied accessory is the best hedge against incompatibility.

Apple does sell some Belkin accessories on their site, so maybe that adapter is there. Otherwise, it's trial and error.

HDMI adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.