Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost photos in migration transfer

Have I lost all my photos in the transfer of data to my new iMac. Large cache of photos have disappeared in the transfer from a 10 year old Mac to a new one. I had 6000 images which don't seem to have been transferred but they are now not on the old Mac. I am a66 year old technophobe who has a limited knowledge of computers. help!!

iMac 24″, macOS 11.6

Posted on May 4, 2022 12:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2022 7:21 AM

You can open an iPhoto Library again in Photos, even if Photos is saying the library has already been migrated, if you change the filename extension of the iPhoto Library from .migratedphotolibrary back to .photolibrary

Then you can open it again this way:

• Quit Photos it is running
  • Hold down the options key ⌥ while launching Photos and select the iPhoto Library from the list of libraries. Wait for Photos to create a new Photos Library from the iPhoto Library. Are your missing photos in this library?

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2022 7:21 AM in response to Arsenal66

You can open an iPhoto Library again in Photos, even if Photos is saying the library has already been migrated, if you change the filename extension of the iPhoto Library from .migratedphotolibrary back to .photolibrary

Then you can open it again this way:

• Quit Photos it is running
  • Hold down the options key ⌥ while launching Photos and select the iPhoto Library from the list of libraries. Wait for Photos to create a new Photos Library from the iPhoto Library. Are your missing photos in this library?

lost photos in migration transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.