You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google drive item now showing in photos

Hi. I have downloaded photos and videos from my Google drive using the app. I'm not given the option of selecting my Camera or Dcim folders to put them with my other media, so I chose my Downloads folder. They show in the file explorer app fine, so I know the download was successful, but they don't show in the Photos app. Why is this? I want to post them to social media, but in the "share" options using the Files app, I'm not given all of the options that you get when you use the Instagram or Facebook apps to post. And the social media apps only have access to my Photos folder, so they can't see my downloaded files.

Is there a way of adding my Downloads folder to the Photos app?

This is pretty frustrating not having access to the file structure of a device that I paid hundreds of pounds for to be honest.

Many thanks, Adam.

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 15

Posted on May 4, 2022 12:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 5, 2022 3:56 PM

Hi. I am able to move the files from the Files app to the Photos app. Many thanks! It seems an odd way of doing things but it works.

I still can't view any system files. Sorry for being blunt. Apple's way of doing things and restricting users' abilities to use the devices we pay a lot of money for is infuriating. It's probably not for an employee like yourself to have to defend (or ignore), but then you're the point of contact.

Anyway thanks for your help. You've actually stopped me ditching my phone and returning to Android!

Adam.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 5, 2022 3:56 PM in response to Lindsay_B.

Hi. I am able to move the files from the Files app to the Photos app. Many thanks! It seems an odd way of doing things but it works.

I still can't view any system files. Sorry for being blunt. Apple's way of doing things and restricting users' abilities to use the devices we pay a lot of money for is infuriating. It's probably not for an employee like yourself to have to defend (or ignore), but then you're the point of contact.

Anyway thanks for your help. You've actually stopped me ditching my phone and returning to Android!

Adam.

May 5, 2022 12:39 PM in response to Adamr6698

We appreciate you following up with us, Adam.

You can save your pictures from Google Drive to your Photos app on your iPhone following the steps in the "Save a photo or video to your camera roll" section of Google's support article Download a file - iPhone & iPad - Google Drive Help.

You may also be able to save the pictures to your Photos app by opening the picture itself and long pressing on it, then tapping "OK" on the "Save to camera roll" prompt.

These features are features of the Google Drive app, so if you have any more questions about the functionality of the app, please get in touch with Google directly: Google Help

Additionally, you should be able to move the picture from the Files app to the Photos app after it's been downloaded. To do this, open the picture in Files, then tap the Share button > Save Image.

If you'd like to see additional options on managing files on your iPhone, you can let Apple know here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Have a wonderful weekend.

May 5, 2022 12:21 PM in response to justin_900

Hi. I use Google Drive, and I downloaded some photos and videos which I'd made on my pc. (Using a windows pc is not the issue here, the issue is the phone). Using the Google Drive app on my phone (iphone 12 mini), the only local location I have to save my files to is a "downloads" folder. This appears to be the same across many, if not all apps, so I presume it must be because Apple don't let anyone have access to anything else? Is there a way to gain access to the rest of my file structure using a file manager/explorer app? Or, can I give the Photos app more access? Obviously the Photos app only has access to certain locations.

The best thing for me is to be able to have the whole file system from which to chose a folder to save my files to.

This is basic stuff guys. It's my phone. I've paid hundreds of pounds for it. Yet I can't access it properly.

Thanks. Adam.

Google drive item now showing in photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.