Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Chrome keeps crashing on my new Macbook Pro 14-inch (2021). Is there any known compatibility issue?

So the question above pretty much sums it up... I have a new Macbook Pro that keeps on crashing from time to time. Daily, it may be crashing too frequently (like ~5 times a day). There are also times when other apps like Powerpoint also crashes. It's around 2 months old and I'm slightly getting worried about it. Is this something that I should bring back to the Apple center where I bought it?

Does Chrome have known compatibility issues with Macbook Pro (2021)? If not, what's the likely solution for this? I'm attaching an Etrecheck report if that helps.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 4, 2022 3:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2022 7:53 PM

The report says you do not have a Time machine backup.

If you have another backup method you prefer, that is great. if not Your computer is a ticking time bomb, about to wipe out all your data. failures of encrypted drives leave no survivors.

You appear to have added NORD VPN. This does not seem like an Institutional connection, but more likely one you have installed yourself. This software does not improve your system security on your already protected Macintosh in the slightest.

To test, restart in Safe Mode, and I expect your Chrome Browser will work fine while in safe mode.

"works in safe mode, fails in regular mode" implies "It's something you added."

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2022 7:53 PM in response to jecramos108

The report says you do not have a Time machine backup.

If you have another backup method you prefer, that is great. if not Your computer is a ticking time bomb, about to wipe out all your data. failures of encrypted drives leave no survivors.

You appear to have added NORD VPN. This does not seem like an Institutional connection, but more likely one you have installed yourself. This software does not improve your system security on your already protected Macintosh in the slightest.

To test, restart in Safe Mode, and I expect your Chrome Browser will work fine while in safe mode.

"works in safe mode, fails in regular mode" implies "It's something you added."

May 4, 2022 3:44 PM in response to jecramos108

Chrome works fine my new MacBook Pro 16 M1 (2021). I'm not having any crash issues with any apps.

We are all users on this user to user only forum. Your Etrecheck report won't help many here tell you what the issue is.

If I were you, since this is a 2021 MacBook Pro, I'd schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar and let Apple run diagnostics on your device.

May 4, 2022 7:59 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I'm glad you were able to read and notice these issues. I would also recommend dumping the VPN. They almost always cause more issues than they supposedly prevent and in this users case is likely the reason Chrome isn't working correctly.

Glad you also noticed they have not used Time Machine to back up the computer. It's amazing how many people don't backup, then scream loudly when something goes wrong and they lose their precious data.

Google Chrome keeps crashing on my new Macbook Pro 14-inch (2021). Is there any known compatibility issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.