You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing a .rtf file

I upgraded my iMac from Catalina to Big Sur then from Big Sur to Monterey. When I upgraded to Monterey, i can no longer print .rtf files. When I try to use the "Text editor" and print what I wrote, I get a blank piece of paper. I am using a Brother MFC-J995DW all in one printer.

I have contacted Brother and have run through all the hoops with them, The printer will print all other formats of documents - .pdf, .docx, xls, Webpages, etc. Brother believes that the issue is related to my upgrade to 12.3.1.

The only way I can print my .rtf file is to save it as a .pdf and then print, a real hassle.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so what is the resolution..

Thank you in advance for your help

Michael

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 5, 2022 6:11 AM

4 replies

May 5, 2022 8:41 AM in response to MichaelWal

That networked Brother MFC-J995DW printer is already supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint drivers, and no vendor drivers are necessary. In System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, right-click on the Brother printer entry and choose Reset print system… Your networked Brother printer will be detectable by Apple's Bonjour, and instead of setting the driver to Brother, set it to AirPrint and choose Re-add.

Once you have done the above, you should be able to open a valid RTF document in either TextEdit, or Pages v12, and just print it as you would expect.

May 5, 2022 8:35 AM in response to lllaass

lllaass,

The source is - I created the document in the text editor "TextEdit". I did see when I look, the "Black & White" box was unchecked, I checked it and the doc printed.

So the issue seemed to be that when i updated to Monterey, the box became unchecked.

You you asked about how it looked caused me to see the uncheck box. by the way, the doc looked correct on screen, the issue was the printing...

thanks for your help

Printing a .rtf file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.