Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlock SIM card in Europe

My brother wants to give me his old iphone 5 in europe. Greece specifically. When he puts in a SIM card that I had used on my US phone last year it says the SIM card is locked. How can I unlock?

iPhone 5

Posted on May 5, 2022 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2022 12:46 PM

Start here: How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier - Apple Support

iPhone 5 cannot run current iOS software and app availability will be limited, and iPhone 5 options for cellular connectivity are limited with its very dated limited 4G/LTE capabilities.

2 replies

May 5, 2022 12:46 PM in response to AGIDIM

What is the exact text of the message please.

If the SIM card is itself locked, then you need to request a new SIM card from your cellular service provider.

If the message states the "SIM card is unsupported" then its the iPhone that is locked, and only the carrier that it is locked to can unlock it.

See here: link-> How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier - Apple Support

Unlock SIM card in Europe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.