Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Mac Mini M1 8GB good enough for Photoshop

Hello all Mac Gurus! I won't be doing any video editing. Is Mac Mini M1 8GB good enough for Photoshop and Illustrator? I'm looking to buy the 512/8GB. Thank you!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 5, 2022 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2022 3:59 AM

Although the Photoshop system requirements suggest that you can get by with 8GB RAM, they do recommend 16GB and even that may be insufficient if you are working on large projects. The comments about no post-purchase upgrade capability are true and you should purchase knowing applications and the operating system will only grow their hardware demands.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2022 3:59 AM in response to Daniel Wasinger

Although the Photoshop system requirements suggest that you can get by with 8GB RAM, they do recommend 16GB and even that may be insufficient if you are working on large projects. The comments about no post-purchase upgrade capability are true and you should purchase knowing applications and the operating system will only grow their hardware demands.

May 5, 2022 7:47 PM in response to Daniel Wasinger

I would recommend the maximum 16 GBs of RAM and at least a 1 TB SSD. The RAM and SSD can't be updated at a later date.

My Late 2014 Mac mini has 16 GBs of RAM and a 1 TB SSD, I actually bought it in 2014.

IMHO: I don't do video editing or use Photoshop or Illustrator and can't imagine handicapping a new Mac mini with such a workload.

May 15, 2022 1:10 PM in response to Lanny

Thank you, Lanny!

I'm also concerned about compatibility with my LG UltraWide Monitor.  It's about 5 or 6 years old.  Do you think there will be distortion or that the Mini won't recognize then size and format?

The Specs: 

34UM65-P 34" Widescreen LED Backlit UltraWide IPS Monitor.  The enhanced aspect ratio is accompanied by an ultra high definition screen resolution of 2560 x 1080.

Apple's info for Mini Displays:

Simultaneously supports up to two displays:

One display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz connected via Thunderbolt and one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz connected via HDMI.

The only other option I may have is to get the 13.3 MacBook Pro, but am unsure if that will be more compatible and if I'll need to get additional adaptors/hub.  I do have a 7 outlet USB hub now.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

May 15, 2022 1:15 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you, VikingOSX!

I'm also concerned about compatibility with my LG UltraWide Monitor.  It's about 5 or 6 years old.  Do you think there will be distortion or that the Mini won't recognize then size and format?

The Specs: 

34UM65-P 34" Widescreen LED Backlit UltraWide IPS Monitor.  The enhanced aspect ratio is accompanied by an ultra high definition screen resolution of 2560 x 1080.

Apple's info for Mini Displays:

Simultaneously supports up to two displays:

One display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz connected via Thunderbolt and one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz connected via HDMI.

The only other option I may have is to get the 13.3 MacBook Pro, but am unsure if that will be more compatible and if I'll need to get additional adaptors/hub.  I do have a 7 outlet USB hub now.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Is Mac Mini M1 8GB good enough for Photoshop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.