Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not able to install new software updates and asking to upgrade the OS but still not able to upgrade the OS as well

not able to install new software updates and asking to upgrade the OS but still not able to upgrade the OS as well in my macbook pro

Posted on May 5, 2022 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2022 10:17 PM

arijitkundu1988 Said:

"not able to install new software updates and asking to upgrade the OS but still not able to upgrade the OS as well in my MacBook pro"

-------

Determining which Update(s) will Install:

I. Verify Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

I. Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

See if the Model you found is shown here:

III. If Compatible:

Back Up your Mac First:  Be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reconfiguration.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2022 10:17 PM in response to arijitkundu1988

arijitkundu1988 Said:

"not able to install new software updates and asking to upgrade the OS but still not able to upgrade the OS as well in my MacBook pro"

-------

Determining which Update(s) will Install:

I. Verify Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

I. Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

See if the Model you found is shown here:

III. If Compatible:

Back Up your Mac First:  Be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reconfiguration.

May 8, 2022 9:10 AM in response to arijitkundu1988

OP's computer specs without the serial number:

Your computer can run up to the current macOS Monterey.

HOWEVER...

...your current older software will not run on any higher macOS than 10.14 Mojave. Before upgrading to 10.15 or higher, first see this Apple article:

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later - Apple Support

and use this free too to check for old software:

https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/index.html

Note that you may incur significant expenses in having to buy new versions of your critical-needs software like Office of Adobe Creative suite/Cloud. Some companies offered free updates but that is the exception rather than the rule.

May 5, 2022 8:23 PM in response to arijitkundu1988

We must know your MacBook Pro sub-model and your current macOS version to effective advise you on any upgrade possibility.

Macbook Pros have been in continuous production since 2006 in early over 100 variants and any computer's upgrade pathcis solely depends on SUB-MODEL. We don not know you sub-model and we are really bad at guessing!

Your sub-model and current OS version care available in seconds by doing "About this Mac..." from your Apple menu:

Please help us help you by filling in the info missing from your question..

not able to install new software updates and asking to upgrade the OS but still not able to upgrade the OS as well

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.