Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh Monterey odd desktop file saving behavior

Hi,

My MacBook Pro is on Monterey and after the last update I've found that if I save any file to the desktop it is saved in the top right corner. Even if another file is there. I've saved files over day and wondered where they went only to notice they've all stacked on top of each other in the top right corner. This corner is were my Mac HD icon is location. All files just save on top of this or another other file/folder icon is there. No, I do not have stacking enabled. This is just multiple files being saved one after another on top of each other. Any thoughts on how to stop this or what this behavior is called and it's purpose? Maybe a bug?

Thanks...

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 5, 2022 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2022 8:13 AM

Alchik wrote:

Hi,

My MacBook Pro is on Monterey and after the last update I've found that if I save any file to the desktop it is saved in the top right corner. Even if another file is there. I've saved files over day and wondered where they went only to notice they've all stacked on top of each other in the top right corner. This corner is were my Mac HD icon is location. All files just save on top of this or another other file/folder icon is there. No, I do not have stacking enabled. This is just multiple files being saved one after another on top of each other. Any thoughts on how to stop this or what this behavior is called and it's purpose? Maybe a bug?

Thanks...

to trouble shoot further you can:

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

If no insight or resolve—

get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com Allow the Full Disk Access for best results.

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2022 8:13 AM in response to Alchik

Alchik wrote:

Hi,

Thanks...

to trouble shoot further you can:

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

If no insight or resolve—

get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com Allow the Full Disk Access for best results.

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

Macintosh Monterey odd desktop file saving behavior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.