Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target display for Macbook Pro M1 max

Hi, is it possible to use old imac 21.5 late 2013 like an external display for Macbook pro 16" m1 max?

Thank you

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 6, 2022 12:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2022 12:08 AM

Check this link to see if your Mac Supports target display mode and how to set it up Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

4 replies

May 6, 2022 12:14 AM in response to WheelieNick

Yes, thank you, according to this article my imac supports target display, but my new macbook was introduced in 2021 and has the os Monterey installed..

In the article is this: The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

Am I to say I'm unlucky with the latest macbook?

May 6, 2022 9:03 AM in response to LukasMaxim

Unlucky? Not one bit. You are lucky you checked here first before buying $100 work of cabling that could not work. WheelieNick saved you some money!

TDM was always a bit of a problem child. It was hard to set up, cabling in some cases can cost as much as a decent external monitor, and TDM did not allow extended desktop. And a second computer uses FAR more energy than a free-standing external monitor.

Fact: Apple started the deprecation of TDM in Late 2014 and threw the last shovel of dirt in its face in early 2020. It lives on only because of web journalists hungry to cash in on the work-from-home movement at the start of COVID.

With no editorial review and lacking the research skills of a garden slug, they belched forth page after page of sick extolling the glories of TDM without noticing it was abandonware.

If you believe the internet, TDM was responsible for parting the Red Sea and the invention of air!

I say you are lucky!

Target display for Macbook Pro M1 max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.