Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't synch iTunes from my iMac to devices.

I'm have an iMac 21.5 Mid 2011, (running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6) and can't synch my iTunes to my iPhone 8 Plus (running OS 15.4.1) and my iPod touch (running OS 15.4.1). Why can't my iMac recognize them? I also have a MacBook from around the same time period, not sure what OS I'm running on it. Shouldn't I be able to see all my songs, even those I've put in my computer from CDs? How can I get to my master list and share with my devices, so I can take my songs on the road when I travel?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on May 6, 2022 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2022 6:59 AM

Andrew T Liebeknecht wrote:

I'm have an iMac 21.5 Mid 2011, (running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6) and can't synch my iTunes to my iPhone 8 Plus (running OS 15.4.1) and my iPod touch (running OS 15.4.1). Why can't my iMac recognize them?

You tell us. What happens when you plug the iPhone and the iPod in? Where are you looking for them? Do they not show up in iTunes? See instructions here: Link-> Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

I also have a MacBook from around the same time period, not sure what OS I'm running on it. Shouldn't I be able to see all my songs, even those I've put in my computer from CDs?

Not unless you manually copied the songs to the MacBook. They won't just appear on another Mac as if by magic. You need to actually take steps to get them there.

The only other option would be if you are subscribed to Apple Music or iTunes Match and have used the iCloud Music Library feature. Then the matched or uploaded songs from the computers would appear on other devices that have the Sync Music library switch turned on. click here-> Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2022 6:59 AM in response to Andrew T Liebeknecht

Andrew T Liebeknecht wrote:

I'm have an iMac 21.5 Mid 2011, (running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6) and can't synch my iTunes to my iPhone 8 Plus (running OS 15.4.1) and my iPod touch (running OS 15.4.1). Why can't my iMac recognize them?

You tell us. What happens when you plug the iPhone and the iPod in? Where are you looking for them? Do they not show up in iTunes? See instructions here: Link-> Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

I also have a MacBook from around the same time period, not sure what OS I'm running on it. Shouldn't I be able to see all my songs, even those I've put in my computer from CDs?

Not unless you manually copied the songs to the MacBook. They won't just appear on another Mac as if by magic. You need to actually take steps to get them there.

The only other option would be if you are subscribed to Apple Music or iTunes Match and have used the iCloud Music Library feature. Then the matched or uploaded songs from the computers would appear on other devices that have the Sync Music library switch turned on. click here-> Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music - Apple Support

Can't synch iTunes from my iMac to devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.