Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

removing a clip from the imovie timeline

I have a clip in the timeline that I want to remove so I can work on a different clip. I don't want to delete the clip, I just want to remove it. It must be simple but apparently not for me.

Thanks

Vezzie

Posted on May 6, 2022 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2022 1:24 PM

Select the clip in the timeline and press delete on your keyboard. Or, you can control-click on the clip and select Delete from the pop up menu. In either case the clip will be deleted only from the timeline and not the iMovie library. It still will remain, in unedited form, in the Project Media that displays when you click on your project's name under the heading Project Media at the top of the media sidebar.

If you want to retain the edits, then you will need to do an Edit/Cut and Edit/Paste the clip into the timeline of a newly created project. The unedited clip will still remain in the original project's Project Media.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2022 1:24 PM in response to Vezzie

Select the clip in the timeline and press delete on your keyboard. Or, you can control-click on the clip and select Delete from the pop up menu. In either case the clip will be deleted only from the timeline and not the iMovie library. It still will remain, in unedited form, in the Project Media that displays when you click on your project's name under the heading Project Media at the top of the media sidebar.

If you want to retain the edits, then you will need to do an Edit/Cut and Edit/Paste the clip into the timeline of a newly created project. The unedited clip will still remain in the original project's Project Media.

-- Rich

removing a clip from the imovie timeline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.