Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Motion: Missing motion path handles

Here's what I did:

1. I added a motion path to an object
  2. Added and adjusted control points
  3. De-selected the object
  4. Re-selected the object - I see the motion path's thin red line (no control points)
  5. Selected the motion path element of that object - this should expose the control points, but no. They are missing...

Yes I have "Show Overlays" turned on, with Handles, Lines, and Animation Path turned on.

Has anyone experienced this?

Posted on May 6, 2022 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2022 12:57 AM

I did a cursory Google search for oscOptions and didn't find anything unfortunately. I actually tried doing exactly what you suggested, but it didn't help. I have no idea what caused the oscOptions value to change from 30 to 26, but I'll keep an eye out now. At least I found a fix, which seems to work, at least so far...

So yeah, long and short of it, if it happens to anyone, the fix is this:

1. Open the project file and modify the oscOptions value to 30.
  2. Save the project file
  3. Reopen in Motion

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2022 12:57 AM in response to fox_m

I did a cursory Google search for oscOptions and didn't find anything unfortunately. I actually tried doing exactly what you suggested, but it didn't help. I have no idea what caused the oscOptions value to change from 30 to 26, but I'll keep an eye out now. At least I found a fix, which seems to work, at least so far...

So yeah, long and short of it, if it happens to anyone, the fix is this:

1. Open the project file and modify the oscOptions value to 30.
  2. Save the project file
  3. Reopen in Motion

May 6, 2022 11:13 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks Luis. Unfortunately it didn't help.

Some progress however. I found an earlier version of my project in which the handles are showing. I removed all other objects to isolate the issue, and I can't tell why in one project version the handles are missing, and in the other version (the earlier one), the handles are showing.

This is a bit like the "spot the difference" game, but I'm unable to see it!

[Link Edited by Moderator]

May 7, 2022 6:52 AM in response to ltgseb

I did try, and the two projects appear to work the same for me - i.e., I cannot see the motion path handles either...

I tried to have a look at the contents of the xml.

They start pretty much the same, but then the one where the handles are not visible happens to be much longer than the other.

I am sorry, but I can't figure out anything in there that would explain this strange behavior. Mysterious.

May 8, 2022 10:47 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for taking a deeper look!

I didn't think to open the project file in a text viewer. I ended up simplifying and removing all deltas, until I finally found the culprit. It's the "oscOptions" parameter within the <viewer> object:

<viewer subview="0">
	<resolutionMode>0</resolutionMode>
    <oscOptions>26</oscOptions>
</viewer>

It was set to 26, and in the project file with the motion path handles showing, it was set to 30. So I changed it to 30 and that appears to have fixed it.

Can you try it on your end? Also, any idea what this "oscOptions" is, and if you can toggle it within the Motion UI as opposed to directly modifying the project file source?

May 8, 2022 11:55 PM in response to ltgseb

"OSC" is shorthand for "On Screen Control". The value of the parameter (oscOptions) is not known to me. [It's ironic that when I first read this thread that I was tempted to tell you to dig into the XML of the project file... but I couldn't tell you what to look for.]

However, for a Motion Path behavior, as soon as you click on the behavior in the Layers List, the cursor should automatically go to Adjust Item. If you only select the object the Motion Path is connected to, then all you get is the regular cursor — you still see the path, but you cannot edit it.

Something within your project broke the 'link' from Motion Path to its object (it happens [not often, but...]). Usually when something like this happens to me, I just remove the "faulty" behavior and replace it with a "fresh" new copy. If that works, Save As a new version of the project (don't risk resaving over the "older" version). [I think you already do that for the most part.]

Try to remember the steps you take when constructing your projects — take breaks and save more frequently - it makes keeping track of changes you make... shorter...

If you figure out the oscOptions codes — please post them!

Apple Motion: Missing motion path handles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.