Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing motion paths is almost impossible

I've been trying to use Motion for some simple animations and I found that it's so **** difficult to edit the motion paths. I'm trying to right click on a path to add a point, and it's almost impossible. Most clicks miss the path. It is so frustrating.

I use a Magic Trackpad. Maybe I should use a mouse? Is there something I can change in Motion, some preferences or parameters for adjusting the cursor precision?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Aug 26, 2022 5:40 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Aug 31, 2022 5:36 AM in response to tudor-v

Hi tudor-v

Glad to hear that works for you.

Note the advice from Fox_m previously, that is it useful to create your motion path with a bezier layer, and then use the 'geometry' option to assign that layer as the path source. This is my usual practice also.

The one advantage the local motion path has is that is has Z axis points - so if you want something to move on a path in 3D space, that is when the local path is the better option.

Aug 26, 2022 6:15 AM in response to tudor-v

I am a big fan of Apple’s trackpads and I choose them (either the Magic Trackpad or the ones built-in in the laptops) over a mouse every time. I don’t have trouble hitting the desired spots, but maybe it will help if you zoom in the canvas a little. If the canvas is too small, just a tiny movement of the cursor may move away from the point you wanted to target. Try that; also, there should be a clear visual feedback of whether or not you are currently pointing at the path or not.

Aug 26, 2022 7:31 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

The only visual clue I have it's the selected motion path. Nothing else. Hovering the cursor over the path don't produce any visual clues.

I tried zooming in but it's not helping much. There must be something weird with my setup, because I cannot believe Motion could be that buggy.

I just tried an old Logitech mouse and it seems to be more precise than the Magic Trackpad.

Editing motion paths is almost impossible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.