Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DELETE UNADJUSTEDNONRAW images.

I am cleaning up my photos library. I see more than 26K photos identified as UNADJUSTEDNONRAWxxx I know these are generated as smaller images or thumbs by photos. They are all visible when I open photos. When I view images in photos it looks like I have a lot of duplicates but many of these are the UNADJUSTEDNONRAW images. Several questions. 1. can I do something so that these do not show when I look at my images. 2. Is it possible to delete the UNADJUSTEDNONRAW images, and what problem would that create.. I would like to see only the original jpeg images, the others are confusing useless clutter.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 6, 2022 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2022 4:10 PM

How did you consolidate them?

Do you still have all the original unconsolidated libraryies? You might be better off doing it again from the start if you do.

However, you shouldn't have any issues deleting items using the photos app. But don't try to delete anything manually (eg using finder) from within the library bundle.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2022 4:10 PM in response to albuquerque_ed

How did you consolidate them?

Do you still have all the original unconsolidated libraryies? You might be better off doing it again from the start if you do.

However, you shouldn't have any issues deleting items using the photos app. But don't try to delete anything manually (eg using finder) from within the library bundle.

May 7, 2022 11:01 AM in response to albuquerque_ed

Hi, albuquerque_ed.

Any photos showing in your Photos Library would be separate individual photos. There would be no way to automatically hide these photos. You could add them to the "Hidden" album if you'd like: Hide photos from view in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

As far as deleting them goes, deleting them would just cause those to be deleted. It wouldn't affect your other photos showing in the library.

We hope this helps.

Cheers.

May 7, 2022 10:58 PM in response to albuquerque_ed

If you still have the original libraries that you have merged, you could try to merge them again. After the upgrade to macOS 12 Photos can merge libraries by importing one library into each other. This will give much better results. When you import one library into another, the titles, places, captions will be transferred and the edited versions will remain pared with the original as one image.

Otherwise you could search systematically for files with "Unadjusted" or "facetiae" in the name. This can be done with a smart album:

• File > New Smart album
  • Set the rule to "filename Strats with Unadjusted"

May 7, 2022 2:27 PM in response to jmarse1

Thanks jmarse1

I'll try deleting the files, I don't know how much space they consume but there are about 27K UNADJUSTEDNONRAW images so they must take up significant space. My concern was/is I read that photos creates these small UNADJUSTEDNONRAW images to facilitate quicker browsing of photos in the app. I was hesitant to just delete them and have image browsing slow down to a crawl. It has been hard to find much about UNADJUSTEDNONRAW images. It appears that photos does not create UNADJUSTEDNONRAW images for each jpeg unless they are stored somewhere else. Anyway I'll back up my photos library and delete the UNADJUSTEDNONRAW files.

Thanks again for your help,

Ed

May 7, 2022 2:52 PM in response to albuquerque_ed

The thumbnails and previews generated by photos should not be visible in the app.

If they are, then it means either the library has become damaged and the database has lost track of various versions of the image kept by photos.

Or something odd has been done, such as trying to import one library into another. Earlier versions of MacOS than monterey did not support this and the result was all the library "internal" copies of an image could be imported as separate image files.

May 7, 2022 3:33 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks TonyCollinet

I have had this problem for some time. I decided to consolidate all my images from three separate computers and a couple of external drives onto one machine as a master copy( I new there would be duplicates but I had no idea about UNADJUSTEDNONRAW and other cats and dogs that photos creates. I'm sure I screwed something up. I have a lot of UNADJUSTEDNONRAW images and some called facetile. My sense is to 1) back up my images to an external drive, 2) in photos "find" all UNADJUSTEDNONRAW files and delete them. I should be able to restore from backup if this messes up my album completely but I fear that this will screw me up beyond belief.

Can you recommend a better approach?

Thanks in advance

Ed

May 8, 2022 7:29 AM in response to albuquerque_ed

Thanks léonie

I do have the original files, however, one of them is on the hard drive where the others were consolidated. I clearly do not understand what photos is doing. What I gather from the above comments is that photos stores various UNADJUSTEDNONRAW images and other stuff with the original jpeg and those will not be seen in the photos app. That being said the UNADJUSTEDNONRAW images that I see are the result of something I messed up during my consolidation, and not linked to an original jpeg. What I plan to do today is 1) make a copy of my photos library on an external drive, 2) use the search feature in photos to find UNADJUSTEDNONRAW and others such as facetile and delete them. If you have any better suggestion or if you see disaster in this approach please let me know.

Thanks for all your help,

Ed

May 9, 2022 2:09 PM in response to albuquerque_ed

SUCCESS!!!! Thanks everyone for your help. Each responder gave me an idea/ ideas on how to approach this and I would not have been able to do do this without you. I suspect others have the same problem so I will briefly describe what I did to clean this mess up. I started with about 88K images many of which were visual duplicates and now I am down to 27K images with no duplicates. There were a lot of unattached visual duplicates UNADJUSTEDNONRAW, facetile, thumb_, face0...face10, which had been generated sometime in the past...god knows where they came from. I gambled and deleted these. It was an iterative process, I did a "search" in PHOTOS for each of the visual duplicates and deleted them in PHOTOS. I looked a the pictures in my library, when I saw a visual duplicate I clicked on "get info" and viewed the filename, sometimes it was a normal filename and sometimes it was an aberration like UNADJUSTEDNONRAW, or thumb. When I found one of these abstractions I would search for and delete them, so after while all I had was real duplicates, not visual duplicates. I bought PhotoSweeper from App Store for about $10 and It quickly deleted my duplicates.

THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE

ED

DELETE UNADJUSTEDNONRAW images.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.