Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K not displaying Dolby vision.

Is there a way to force the Apple TV 4K to send Dolby Vision? My AVR supports Dolby vision pass through. Dolby vision in my 4K Blu-ray player works through the AVR, Chromecast plus sends Dolby vision through the AVR. Apple TV 4K only sends the standard 4K, in setup 4K dolby vision isn’t an option. What is different about the Apple product that it doesn’t work?

Posted on May 6, 2022 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2022 1:28 AM

Only reason I wanted the Apple TV 4K was it has access to my purchased videos, the TV app does not.

If this Apple TV box has been in use with a different screen before since last setup, then try to reset the video settings, to get default video settings for the current screen.

Settings﹥Video and Audio﹥Reset Video Settings

Else I would suggest to contact an expert from the Apple Support staff for further assistance. Contact Apple for support and service (phone numbers) or start your support request online (chat/​email/​callback).

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2022 1:28 AM in response to GreenEggHam

Only reason I wanted the Apple TV 4K was it has access to my purchased videos, the TV app does not.

If this Apple TV box has been in use with a different screen before since last setup, then try to reset the video settings, to get default video settings for the current screen.

Settings﹥Video and Audio﹥Reset Video Settings

Else I would suggest to contact an expert from the Apple Support staff for further assistance. Contact Apple for support and service (phone numbers) or start your support request online (chat/​email/​callback).

May 16, 2022 5:04 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Apple support was no help though they tried. They had a couple of suggestions I hadn't tried. No joy. There is obviously an issue with the Apple 4k TV and the LG television with Dolby Vision. My suggestion would be allow a setting to force Dolby Vision in the Apple 4K TV settings.

1. Apple built in app on the TV displays Dolby Vision.
  2. Apple 4K TV only sends UHD signal through AVR
  3. Other devices send Dolby Vision through the exact same cables/ports and AVR hardware.

May 6, 2022 12:27 PM in response to GreenEggHam

Apple TV 4K will try to detect if the connected screen supports Dolby Vision (in combination with the other video settings and cabling). Then it will present DV as option, else it will not.

For Apple TV 4K, use 18 Gbps or better HDMI cables, and set chroma to 4:2:0.

4K 50/60Hz DV 4:4:4 would exceed the bandwidth available through HDMI 2.0 ports (anywhere in the video chain) or 18 Gbps HDMI cables (anywhere in the video chain). As it would for any device from any brand.

May 6, 2022 4:11 PM in response to GreenEggHam

Edit: plugged the Apple 4k directly into the tv. DV still doesn’t work, only standard 4k. Apparently some incompatibility with the LG TV. ALL other DV sources work with the LG TV. Apple is the only device that does not.

Interestingly, the TV has a Apple TV app. Dolby Vision works perfectly when using the Apple TV app to view Apple shows. Only reason I wanted the Apple TV 4K was it has access to my purchased videos, the TV app does not.

So, big FAIL with Apple TV 4K. Guess they have more work to do.

Apple TV 4K not displaying Dolby vision.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.