Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen suddenly went black with vertical lines

Hi

My MacBook Pro screen suddenly went black with vertical lines across.

I didn't spill anything on it and it hasn't dropped.

This happened all of sudden when I was using it.

I still can see Apple logo when it starts then it goes black and I can hear the sounds.

What could this be?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 6, 2022 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2022 8:00 AM

when you start your computer, the display uses a very simple driver to get going.

Once you enter your password, it switches to the fully-accelerated display driver, which is much more complex. It also allows any added third-party add-ons to run, which sometimes cause trouble.

To rule out third-party add-ons as part of the problem, restart in Safe mode.

Safe Mode does a number of different things. Hold shift at startup, but have your userid and password at the ready.

A parade of unusual things happens.

• Your Mac loads just enough of the kernel to do a disk check. Then it proceeds to do a disk check. This can take an extra about five minutes.

• your userid and password are required, even if you normally auto-login. So have them handy.

• Your Mac adds ONLY a minimal set of Apple-Only extensions, Not including graphics acceleration extensions. Screen updates will therefore be wonky and slow, but it ultimately should be correct.

• Your Mac assumes defaults for as many settings as possible, including screen resolution. This is the key for re-setting the screen, but there is a little more to it: Resolution is likely to be lower and settings ordinary. Use this as a starting point to customize settings to your liking.

Any changes you make in Safe Mode will "stick" in regular mode after you restart.

• after restart in normal mode, your Mac will take slightly longer to start up [once] because it rebuilds some system caches.

"Works in Safe mode, fails in regular mode" implies "It's something you added".

How to use Safe Mode on your Mac

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2022 8:00 AM in response to A_H_TAHA

when you start your computer, the display uses a very simple driver to get going.

Once you enter your password, it switches to the fully-accelerated display driver, which is much more complex. It also allows any added third-party add-ons to run, which sometimes cause trouble.

To rule out third-party add-ons as part of the problem, restart in Safe mode.

Safe Mode does a number of different things. Hold shift at startup, but have your userid and password at the ready.

A parade of unusual things happens.

• Your Mac loads just enough of the kernel to do a disk check. Then it proceeds to do a disk check. This can take an extra about five minutes.

• your userid and password are required, even if you normally auto-login. So have them handy.

• Your Mac adds ONLY a minimal set of Apple-Only extensions, Not including graphics acceleration extensions. Screen updates will therefore be wonky and slow, but it ultimately should be correct.

• Your Mac assumes defaults for as many settings as possible, including screen resolution. This is the key for re-setting the screen, but there is a little more to it: Resolution is likely to be lower and settings ordinary. Use this as a starting point to customize settings to your liking.

Any changes you make in Safe Mode will "stick" in regular mode after you restart.

• after restart in normal mode, your Mac will take slightly longer to start up [once] because it rebuilds some system caches.

"Works in Safe mode, fails in regular mode" implies "It's something you added".

How to use Safe Mode on your Mac

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

May 7, 2022 3:13 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I tried it.

The screen stayed turned on for about 30 seconds then went black again.

I am really worried that the screen needs to be replaced. I am very keen in dealing with the laptop and nothing wrong happened as liquid spill or dropping down. It just came of nowhere.

I will book an appointment with Apple repair centre and see what they will say.

Thanks very much for your help

May 7, 2022 7:47 AM in response to A_H_TAHA

That External screen has no Vertical stripes.

Vertical lines suggest a problem with the built-in display. This experiment confirm that the problem is with the built-in display.

¿Are you saying the keyboard and trackpad on the computer are not working? They should still be available. You are not required to close the cover on the built-in display. You are not required to use an External keyboard and mouse just to use an external display.

Screen suddenly went black with vertical lines

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.