Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirTag publicly notifies anybody close by, that i have an AirTag

While driving, my passengers get random notifications about AirTag my wife has in her purse. They stopped at a friends for dinner and everybody in the house has Apple phones and everybody in the house was getting notifications and asking who has an AirTag?

iPhone XS Max

Posted on May 6, 2022 9:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2022 3:05 PM

Hello crescent city Garrett,

I'm assuming that you mean: Your wife has an AirTag in her purse, and that everyone gets a notification on their phones saying "AirTag found moving with you" when they were having dinner at a friends house. (???)

First, you need to know that this notification only appears when the AirTag has been moving with a person for a longer period of time. This can depend. It can come within hours or even minutes. If your wife was there for a few hours, and with all of her friends, this might have been the case.

From AirTag - Apple: "AirTag is designed to discourage unwanted tracking. If someone else’s AirTag finds its way into your stuff, your iPhone will notice it’s traveling with you and send you an alert. After a while, if you still haven’t found it, the AirTag will start playing a sound to let you know it’s there.

Of course, if you happen to be with a friend who has an AirTag, or on a train with a whole bunch of people with AirTag, don’t worry. These alerts are triggered only when an AirTag is separated from its owner."

Contact Apple for more information --> https://apple.com/contact

Best regards,

dotec

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2022 3:05 PM in response to crescent city Garrett

Hello crescent city Garrett,

I'm assuming that you mean: Your wife has an AirTag in her purse, and that everyone gets a notification on their phones saying "AirTag found moving with you" when they were having dinner at a friends house. (???)

First, you need to know that this notification only appears when the AirTag has been moving with a person for a longer period of time. This can depend. It can come within hours or even minutes. If your wife was there for a few hours, and with all of her friends, this might have been the case.

From AirTag - Apple: "AirTag is designed to discourage unwanted tracking. If someone else’s AirTag finds its way into your stuff, your iPhone will notice it’s traveling with you and send you an alert. After a while, if you still haven’t found it, the AirTag will start playing a sound to let you know it’s there.

Of course, if you happen to be with a friend who has an AirTag, or on a train with a whole bunch of people with AirTag, don’t worry. These alerts are triggered only when an AirTag is separated from its owner."

Contact Apple for more information --> https://apple.com/contact

Best regards,

dotec

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.