Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get rid of unwanted icons on my desktop

While installing a new external hard drive, an icon for my Mac HD suddenly appeared and even though I went into Finder Preferences and unchecked all of the devices listed, it still remains. Also, how do I get the icon for the new external hard drive off the desktop and into my app folder?

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 7, 2022 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2022 11:45 AM

What year iMac? My 2015 runs the latest version of Monterey (12.3.1) beautifully.

If you can, I'd suggest you upgrade to a more modern OS with greater security and more features and maybe solve your problem too.

The Application folder is for apps, not drives. I guess you could try dragging it there.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2022 11:45 AM in response to Calcharmac

What year iMac? My 2015 runs the latest version of Monterey (12.3.1) beautifully.

If you can, I'd suggest you upgrade to a more modern OS with greater security and more features and maybe solve your problem too.

The Application folder is for apps, not drives. I guess you could try dragging it there.

How to get rid of unwanted icons on my desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.