Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Mid 2010. Erase and Reinstall OS X

I've got a Macbook Pro Mid 2010 that I'm trying to wipe clean and do a fresh OS install on.

When I started it in recovery mode and used disk utility to erase the disk, something went wrong and now all I can see is 'OS X Base System', which I can't partition, erase or restore.

So I figured all I need to do now is go to 'Reinstall macOS' and install High Sierra. But when I do that and it asks me to select a disk to install to, there are no disks to select, there's just a blank space under the words 'select the disk where you want to install the macOS'

What do I do?

Hoping someone can help!

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 7, 2022 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2022 10:47 AM

If you have access to another Mac, you can make a bootable installer with High Sierra

To do this, download High Sierra via this link: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

After download, follow the instructions in this link:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Hope this helps!

3 replies

May 7, 2022 12:25 PM in response to WheelieNick

All was well until I got to this stage

"Intel processor

1. Plug the bootable installer into a Mac that is connected to the internet and compatible with the version of macOS you're installing.
    • The macOS version that came with the Mac is the earliest version it can use. 
    • A bootable installer doesn't download macOS from the internet, but it does require an internet connection to get firmware and other information specific to the Mac model.
  1. Press and hold the Option (Alt) ⌥ key immediately after turning on or restarting the Mac.
  2. Release the Option key when you see a dark screen showing your bootable volumes.
  3. Select the volume containing the bootable installer. Then click the up arrow or press Return. 
  4. If you can't start up from the bootable installer, make sure that Startup Security Utility is set to allow booting from external or removable media.
  5. Choose your language, if prompted.
  6. Select Install macOS (or Install OS X) from the Utilities window, then click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions."

When I hold the option key after powering up, I don't see any dark screen showing bootable drives.

I thought it might be because of the Startup Security Utility settings but when I open this, the only option I get is to set a firmware password.

Where am i going wrong?!

Macbook Pro Mid 2010. Erase and Reinstall OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.