Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Start up MacBook issues

As others I've accidentally deleted the start up system for my MacBook. The only thing that comes up is a question mark inside a folder and apple website below that. NOTHING is working to get the system back up!!! HELP!!!

Posted on May 7, 2022 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2022 5:41 PM

Not knowing what exactly what you have tried already and what exact model of MacBook you have, I suggest starting with the following support article: If your Mac starts up to a question mark - Apple Support

11 replies

May 9, 2022 4:14 PM in response to LP57IN

ok. so if you are 100% sure that the MacBook is a 2011 model and it does in fact have catalina installed, then P. Phillips is correct. none of the 2011 MacBooks are compatible with catalina. and that would explain why you cannot reinstall catalina. someone did something questionable (if not illegal) to install catalina before.

the only thing i can suggest is entering recovery and installing a macOS that is compatible with your mac. please see this apple support document:

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

and you can check this page to see which macOS is compatible with whatever model of 2011 MacBook you have:

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

May 9, 2022 6:04 PM in response to LP57IN

2011 marks a transition year for Macs.

March 15, 2010 marks the beginning of that transition. Prior to that you could use the 10.6.3 retail installer disc to install your operating system all the way back to January 7, 2006.

Those prior to July 22, 2011 only could use internet restore (command-option-shift-R at startup) if the right firmware was installed, and otherwise either had to have a clone of their 10.6 system made, or have a working copy of their prebundled 10.6 installer disc to boot off the Option key.

Those after July 22, 2011 could also use Apple Recovery mode, which reinstalled the currently installed system, with command-R, which reverts back to internet recovery to install the first system that came with them, if no system is installed, which could also be run with the same shortcut mentioned above.

Shortcuts must be run from a USB keyboard. PC USB keyboards are usable too, but command key typically is mapped to the Windows key, and Alt is mapped to the Option key.

May 10, 2022 2:42 AM in response to LP57IN

Thank you for confirming what was suspected.

From Whomever or from Wherever this computer was acquired from, has used a Patcher Version of Catalina to install.

This is illegal as per the Apple " Licence of Use "

This is the source of this computer problem,

Suggest following the advise of @ a Brody and revert to the version this computer Qualifies to run which probable will be macOS High Sierra 10.13 hardware requirements and no newer version does this computer Quality to run.

May 10, 2022 4:58 PM in response to LP57IN

oh that's better. Thank for verifying it is the right year.

Catalina - an upgrade guide - Apple Community

is everything you need to know.

If you are running Big Sur 11.x or Monterey 12.x you can downgrade, but any converted photo or music libraries will have to be recreated from scratch, and you'll lose album information, and favorites for those data types and will need to either erase the system, or just a partition to install an earlier OS. Keep in mind that partition will need to be HFS Extended Journalled, as otherwise the system will not see where to install 10.10 or 10.11 that shipped with it.

If you are running 10.14 or earlier, just follow the above link.

If you already have wiped the computer, command-option-shift-R will bring up Disk Utility where you can format as HFS Extended Journalled, and install 10.10 or 10.11, and then upgrade to 10.15 following the above link.

If you just want to reinstall all the Catalina components on an existing Catalina install to make sure none were missed, backup your data, and run command-R at startup. Keep in mind any third party utilities will not be erased when you do this, so if you are afraid they may be interfering with the proper running of your system, you may want to use Disk Utility to erase your system during such a boot, and restore only the backup of your user documents, and add applications later that you learn are safe.

May 7, 2022 6:30 PM in response to Tesserax

I"ve done all the resets and hold these 2 keys, these 4 keys, etc. It is a 2011 Catalina. I was trying to reset to factory by first deleting the files. I followed the Apple recommendations. In error I believe I deleted the operating system. Now when I turn on MacBook all I get is the question mark on a folder blinking on the screen. Nothing is working. I've tried it all.

May 10, 2022 3:54 AM in response to LP57IN

How do you know it is 2011?

Does Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support verify it is 2011 based on serial number? Do not publish the serial number on the forum. Just use the link to verify.

Apple menu -> About This Mac -> System Report will also tell you information. Under the system report -> hardware -> Model Identifier, can be matched with the guide on http://www.everymac.com/

If it is 2011, and you have Catalina on your Mac, yes indeed Catalina is an illegal install, and it is not qualified for that Mac for any reliability by Apple.

Start up MacBook issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.