Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac flashing question mark folder

Hi! Im having trouble with my mac, it often turns off and I struggle to turn it back on since a flashing question mark folder shows up. I think I got the solution to the problem, that is "reset the default starting disk". I just want to know that if i do that, will all my data be lost? My mac is not backed up and im scared i will lose everything if i do that. I really appreciate your answers!

MacBook, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 9:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 9:59 PM

Maggie789 Said:

"Mac flashing question mark folder: [...]My mac is not backed up and im scared i will lose everything if i do that. I really appreciate your answers!"

-------

Troubleshooting a Question Mark:

Learn form This:

First off, learn from this, always knowing to always backup your Mac every so often, so that you a have something to restore your Mac from, for instance such as this.

Three Things...

I. Go here: If your Mac Starts Up to a Question Mark - Apple Support

II. Re-Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon) . Then, using Disk Utility, see if the Hard Drive is seem. If it is, then see if you need to click the “Mount’ button for it. Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more.

III. If Neither of the Above Works...

Reinstall the macOS:

Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple SupportImportant: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to all of this. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Once reinstalled, try this once more.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2022 9:59 PM in response to Maggie789

Maggie789 Said:

"Mac flashing question mark folder: [...]My mac is not backed up and im scared i will lose everything if i do that. I really appreciate your answers!"

-------

Troubleshooting a Question Mark:

Learn form This:

First off, learn from this, always knowing to always backup your Mac every so often, so that you a have something to restore your Mac from, for instance such as this.

Three Things...

I. Go here: If your Mac Starts Up to a Question Mark - Apple Support

II. Re-Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon) . Then, using Disk Utility, see if the Hard Drive is seem. If it is, then see if you need to click the “Mount’ button for it. Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more.

III. If Neither of the Above Works...

Reinstall the macOS:

Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple SupportImportant: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to all of this. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Once reinstalled, try this once more.

Mac flashing question mark folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.