Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face ID not working after all solutions tried

Hi, I’ve tried every solution possible for this including resetting my settings. Not my entire phone but my settings. For some reason, when I go to set up my Face ID, it won’t let me and will say “Face ID not available, please try again later.” OR it will just keep making me move the camera up or down without getting me to the circle. Please help. I’ve tried everything. I have the iPhone XR.

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on May 7, 2022 5:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2022 6:22 PM

Yea , good luck with talking and troubleshoting with apple :) . Check front camera in portrait mode if lights up yellow natural , then check proximity and light senor and make sure back camera is working. Is true tone avaible in display settings and is nfc working? Send pics of your phone . . From your story i could guess it may be flood illuminator or dot projector but this have to be verified , get 3utools and check device info and serial numbers. You can report apple that you've got problem with device and wait for MRI check to confirm is problem with face id but don't expect they'll help you solve it , better search web for clues

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2022 6:22 PM in response to KiltedTim

Yea , good luck with talking and troubleshoting with apple :) . Check front camera in portrait mode if lights up yellow natural , then check proximity and light senor and make sure back camera is working. Is true tone avaible in display settings and is nfc working? Send pics of your phone . . From your story i could guess it may be flood illuminator or dot projector but this have to be verified , get 3utools and check device info and serial numbers. You can report apple that you've got problem with device and wait for MRI check to confirm is problem with face id but don't expect they'll help you solve it , better search web for clues

May 22, 2022 3:01 PM in response to KiltedTim

I have a very hard time believing it’s a hardware issue. Googling this issue, it spans across all models and not isolated to one specific time period. Mine started happening before the 15.5 update, it wouldn’t recognize my face so I tried to reset it and that’s when it really died. I updated and now it’s worse, saying lower your phone raise your phone, lower your phone. Its not the camera, it’s not a screen protector, it’s not a piece of dust, it’s not an sos setting, it’s not on Wi-Fi or no Wi-Fi, it’s not a restart of the phone. I tried all the suggestions. More than once. Once it lets me save a Face ID and it’ll open my phone once, then it stops working again.

Im not in the mood to reset everything when it will probably be resolved with yet another software update. Nor go to the Genius Bar with a million other people. Get your act together Apple.

May 22, 2022 8:03 PM in response to dawid294

I already talked to Apple, those tier 1’s drive me crazy. I only ask for help when I need advanced techs, so thanks for the comment dawid, I did some basic tests on the cameras, haven’t found a problem yet. Light sensor was tested, its ok on the front, True Tone available, nfc good. I’ll keep digging. Im in a major city with 8 million people and hate going to Apple store because half the city is there since they shut down some of the stores a few years ago. It’s painful, but this Face ID not working is painful too. 🥴

May 22, 2022 8:30 PM in response to karazee

Ok , so in order to have face id working in xr you have to be sure that proximity sensor and flood illuminator is working , you can check it with other camera , infrared camera with you can only check when flood illuminator and dot projector is working and nfc . This is complex system depends on every component . If you don't have message "True deph camera is disabled" in face id card give you good chance that dot projector is fine and problem is somewhere else . Ask apple to do MRI diagnostics on your phone that will verify you've got genuine sensors in your phone. Going to apple may end up lcd assy or whole unit replacement ;)

May 22, 2022 8:53 PM in response to dawid294

Put phone on table and go to camera , switch to front and swipe to portrait mode . In this mode you should be able to see in iphone notch on left side 2 lights top one blinking and bottom pulsing and on right side still light . You can check it easier just switching to front camera going to portrait mode and pointing to your face , if sign "Natural" on bottom lights up yellow means all sensors are ok , if not some is not ok

May 23, 2022 8:13 AM in response to dawid294

Natural comes on for a second then turns off, I’ve got one green light at the top right. Obviously I stand corrected saying this is a hardware issue, I’m not a phone tech nor a guru for that matter. To see so many people with this error/problem though was mind blowing to me to be hardware related. Guess I get to make a field trip. Lucky me.

Face ID not working after all solutions tried

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.