Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus on my MCP?

For some time now, while using my Mac, I have been receiving annoying pop-up

windows with text on my desktop that only appear for a few moments. It doesn't happen often

but when it happens it is a real torture. They appear briefly with a whistle.

Apparently, there is no relation with any of the installed applications.

Only, by running ClamXav, I find the file "Unix.Ransomware.Evilquest-9757372-0" 

(file associated with Facetime.app), as an infected file.

Unfortunately, I could not find this infected file in the quarantine folder, even using 

the view commands hidden files [CTRL + SHIFT +.] from the system root, or the other command from a Terminal window: "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE; killall Finder"

So I couldn't remove it.

Can anyone help me?

P.S.:

These are the Machine/model info on my Mac: MacBookPro8,2 with macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6

Thank you very much for any suggestion/help you can provide to me.

Massimo

[Link Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 8, 2022 8:34 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

May 8, 2022 10:03 AM in response to urbam

Bob, I run the tool and obtained the report, as plain text. With the "Copy" function on it, I tried to post here but I’ve exceeded the 5000 character limit for the post. How to use the additional text feature?

Strange thing: I removed ClamXav app, but it appear as last in the report yet (no longer in the application folder).

May 8, 2022 11:28 AM in response to urbam

Delete this file & restart...

~/Library/LaunchAgents/org.ioBroker.LaunchAtLogin.plist

~ tilde indicates your home folder

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1 From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.

2 In the window that opens, enter ~/Library/LaunchAgents, and click Go.

Virus on my MCP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.