Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro suddenly not detecting external monitor anymore

Hi everyone,

I've been using my MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) with an external monitor connected with a thunderbolt cable for the last few months. 2 days ago, when I connected the cable, the laptop started charging as usual but it did not detect the monitor anymore. It does work correctly with a usb-c to HDMI cable, but the text quality is lower and, obviously, it doesn't charge the macbook.

Hopefully some of you can help me out. Thanks in advance!

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 9, 2022 1:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2022 2:44 AM

Hi,

Resetting SMC could solve the problem, though I think it's a macOS bug, you'd better send feed back bug report to Apple.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Bug Reporting - Apple Developer

Similar questions

4 replies

May 13, 2022 5:10 PM in response to oant97

I use MacBook Pro 2020 with macOS 12.3.1 connected to external Apple Thunderbolt Display (2011, I think). I have the same problem. Some time the display is working; sometimes is not working or even the display's camera or speakers work (on zoom) but the display is black out. These problems happens on and off. I have followed the instruction on If your external display isn't detected or appears blurry when connected to your Mac and How to reset the SMC of your Mac but it does not solve the problem either.

If there are ways to fix these display problems, please help.

Macbook pro suddenly not detecting external monitor anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.