Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much RAM Memory

I have a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) with 8GB internal RAM. I now wish to upgrade my RAM, do I need to duplicate what is onboard already, e.g. 2x4 GB which will give me 16GB in total or can I add 2x8 GB making 24GB in total.

Thanks, hope I have explained it okay

Graham

Posted on May 9, 2022 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2022 6:31 AM

It is best to only use memory from either Crucial or OWC since Macs are very picky about the RAM they use. Even then, make sure to only get the exact part numbers suggested by using the tools on their respective websites to identify the exact part numbers compatible with your Mac. Buying memory using just the published technical specifications is not enough since there are a lot of other technical specifications that neither Apple nor most memory manufacturers list which are extremely important for compatibility. When Crucial ships the memory, the plastic packaging actually says "Mac Compatible" on it. If it does not say this, then double check that the memory you have received matches the exact part number suggested by Crucial.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2022 6:31 AM in response to cmajor335

It is best to only use memory from either Crucial or OWC since Macs are very picky about the RAM they use. Even then, make sure to only get the exact part numbers suggested by using the tools on their respective websites to identify the exact part numbers compatible with your Mac. Buying memory using just the published technical specifications is not enough since there are a lot of other technical specifications that neither Apple nor most memory manufacturers list which are extremely important for compatibility. When Crucial ships the memory, the plastic packaging actually says "Mac Compatible" on it. If it does not say this, then double check that the memory you have received matches the exact part number suggested by Crucial.

How much RAM Memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.