Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating music library from MacOS Catalina (iMac) to MacOS Monterery (MacBook Pro)

Hi all, tried to search the forums for this but came up empty.

I was using two different machines. My music library was running on an external drive connected to an iMac running MacOS Catalina (was using iTunes on Mojave with no issues and then upgraded a few months ago). I managed the transition from iTunes to Music with no big issues and everything was fine.

I bought a new laptop (M1, MacBook Pro running MacOS Monterey) and wanted to consolidate onto one machine, getting rid of the iMac entirely. I connected the external drive to the MacBook and copied what I thought was the most recent Music Library (stored in my user folder -> Music -> Music -> Musiclibrary.musiclibrary) but when I open Music on the laptop, everything from 2017 and later (several thousand MP3 files) do not show up. Weird, since the music library has a date of 4.29.22 (which was the last date I used the machine).

I have tried resetting the location and then following the prompts to "keep my music library organized." That operation took about an hour but the end result was the same thing. I have confirmed the more recent music is all there but for some reason, it is not showing up.

I was able to access my old iMac (still have it) and did an export of the music library as it existed on my old machine. But I cannot figure out what to do with the resultant "Library.xml" file it generated. When I try to start music with the option key down, the .xml file is greyed out as a possible library.

I am clearly missing something, either the correct music library or whatever, but cannot get my new mac to see these files properly. Any and all advice you have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob

Posted on May 9, 2022 10:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2022 12:32 PM

iTunes/Music can be a little temperamental with aliases and links. Have you tried copying the Music Library.musiclibrary database from the old computer to the new one, setting up a matching alias pointing to the same folder on the external drive which you've now moved across, and using the press and hold down option when starting Music method to choose the new copy of Music Library.musiclibrary that you've copied over?

tt2

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2022 12:32 PM in response to xrob

iTunes/Music can be a little temperamental with aliases and links. Have you tried copying the Music Library.musiclibrary database from the old computer to the new one, setting up a matching alias pointing to the same folder on the external drive which you've now moved across, and using the press and hold down option when starting Music method to choose the new copy of Music Library.musiclibrary that you've copied over?

tt2

May 9, 2022 12:12 PM in response to xrob

A key part of that document for Music users is the addendum headed macOS 10.15 Catalina and later. If things are in the usual locations you simply copy the ~/Music/Music folder from one computer to the other, where ~ is your user's home folder. It gets a little more complicated if the source library is based on a legacy library from iTunes and has content in an iTunes Media folder that isn't inside ~/Music/Music.

If you want me to go into further detail please let me know where your active .musiclibrary database is, and the path to the media folder under Music > Preferences > Files.

tt2

May 9, 2022 12:22 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the quick response! On my iMac, the storage location is/was: users -> my user folder -> Music -> Music -> Music Library.musiclibrary

The storage location for the media folder is a bit trickier. I have it pointed to: users -> my user folder -> Music -> Music -> Media, but that is actually an alias to: external drive -> iTunes -> Music Media.

The alias method has worked for several years and it still functions as it should, so hopefully that is not part of the problem. I just can't figure out why my current music library is missing 2+ years of files.

May 9, 2022 12:33 PM in response to turingtest2

I was in the process of doing just that when you replied. The short answer is YES, that worked! So where should I store this new library so that it gets updated with new additions etc? Should I put it on the external drive or should I put it in the user folder on my mac? Or does it matter? Is there a way to ensure that this library opens every time? Thanks for the help thus far!

May 9, 2022 12:35 PM in response to xrob

And one follow-up question...has the "show album art" option really disappeared from the song-view in Music? There used to be a thumbnail in the song list, as well as the art in the lower-left-hand corner of the iTunes window and now both are gone. I guess they removed some functionality from Music as compared to the older iTunes?

May 9, 2022 12:57 PM in response to xrob

xrob wrote:

I was in the process of doing just that when you replied. The short answer is YES, that worked! So where should I store this new library so that it gets updated with new additions etc? Should I put it on the external drive or should I put it in the user folder on my mac? Or does it matter? Is there a way to ensure that this library opens every time? Thanks for the help thus far!

My preference would be to place the database at <External>/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary, then either move/rename or consolidate the media folder to <External>/Music/Media which will put the library into the default layout. This is easier to move between computers and back up. It also means the media folder won't silently reset to something on the system drive if ever you start Music and the external drive isn't ready.

Music will always attempt to open the last library that it opened unless you hold down option so you can choose or create a different one.

tt2

May 9, 2022 12:56 PM in response to xrob

xrob wrote:

And one follow-up question...has the "show album art" option really disappeared from the song-view in Music? There used to be a thumbnail in the song list, as well as the art in the lower-left-hand corner of the iTunes window and now both are gone. I guess they removed some functionality from Music as compared to the older iTunes?

Sadly yes, some nice features from iTunes have been lost.

tt2

Migrating music library from MacOS Catalina (iMac) to MacOS Monterery (MacBook Pro)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.