Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi I have purchased a second hand iPhone XR but it has the “ locked to owner” screen so how do I unlock it?

Hi I have purchased a second hand iPhone XR but it has the “ locked to owner” screen so how do I unlock it?

iPhone XR

Posted on May 10, 2022 12:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2022 6:13 AM

Tell him to check his web browser autofill entries and other records, or use Apple's iForgot service, or contact their Account Security team, or the unit's original owner to click here and submit an unlock request.

(218125)

9 replies

May 12, 2022 12:13 AM in response to jaxson128

This makes absolutely no sense. Why did you "buy it to try to unlock it" - why didn't you just tell him to contact Apple...? 'Locked to owner' means exactly that - the phone is activation locked and can only be unlocked by the original purchaser. If you lost your iPhone (or it was stolen) would you want it to be easy for the finder/thief to unlock it and access your data...?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.