Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Fantasy XIV game will not work on my brand new MacStudio M1 Ultra

After the new macstudio was announced I placed an order and finally received it yesterday. I have been using an old imac (late 2015) for both work and gaming since purchased. So, I was really excited to finally have an upgrade and I went for a higher end build.

I'm a longtime mac Final Fantasy XIV player and was ready to see how the macstudio would handle the game. Since the latest upgrade to the iOS, FFXIV mac users haven't been able to login to the game properly, but there has been a workaround with XIVonmac.

Long story short - I've been able to play FFXIV on my imac for years without major issues. But now, I have a more powerful macStudio and I can't play at all. As soon as the game starts to load, the macstudio completely crashes and has to restart. Everything I've tried results in the same issue - game crashes and the macstudio restarts.

After reaching out to the developers of FFXIV, they informed me that the problem lies in whatever the changes have been in the latest macOS build. I'm very frustrated after spending $7k on a system that can't even do what I was able to do previously on my old imac. And now I can't trade-in the old imac, because that's the only way I have of playing the game. Is this going to be addressed?

Here are the specs for the macstudio

Apple M1 Ultra with 20-core CPU, 48-core GPU, 32-core Neural Engine

128GB unified memory

2TB SSD storage

Mac Studio, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 10, 2022 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2022 10:03 AM

The requirements for that game

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/system_requirements/

include:

* Models utilizing the Apple Silicon chipset (such as M1) are not supported.

THus, it should not work, and you proved it does not work, on The Studion Ultra since that is an Apple Silicon Mac.

Similar questions

7 replies

May 10, 2022 10:11 AM in response to lllaass

I know that technically they have not yet supported since the M1 chips, however, the workaround has been XIVonmac (look it up) and it has worked fine for most, including people who play with M1 chips. However, the high-end M1 ultra does not currently work and the development team on XIVonmac has said it's an issue in the mac OS.

From one of the developers on discord:

"A userland application cannot crash the OS without the OS having a bug. It's 100% a bug in Apple's GPU driver."

May 10, 2022 2:14 PM in response to GreyAshestone

Attempting to install or use a know Not Support version of an Application especially on Apple Silicon M1 Computer is folly in IMO.

Attempting to force the issue and make or attempt to make it work can and will either fail or is an invitation for disaster and comprising the Operating System.

Once that is done - it is unknown what the possible consequences may be to the Computer and Operating System.

May 10, 2022 4:10 PM in response to PRP_53

I appreciate the concern but can I get a response from someone who would actually attempt to help with the issue. I'm not worried that trying to play a game with 12 year old graphics is gonna destroy my mac.

My main purpose with this thread is to bring the issue to light so that Apple/Square Enix can hopefully work together on the issue however that happens. If the issue is not posted, then there is no problem to solve. And I can assure you that I am not the only one in this boat.

May 11, 2022 11:33 AM in response to GreyAshestone

If the XIVonMac developer's are not directly communicating the issue with Apple, then don't expect anything to be fixed. Someone has to prove to Apple that the bug is with macOS and not the third party app. Only the app's developer will have the necessary information to do so.

Also you need to keep in mind that any work arounds are usually temporary work arounds. They may work for years, but sooner or later something will cause a work around to break. Running an Intel game on an M1 which has a completely different & unique CPU & GPU is never a sure thing because even running a game on supported hardware with another unexpected GPU can lead to issues. It happens all the time on Windows if an unexpected GPU is involved. Game developers tend to take a lot of shortcuts within their games to make them perform properly (fast & with minimal lag) and these shortcuts tend to utilize unsupported system calls. It does not surprise me that an Intel game doesn't work well on an M1 Mac because games push the envelope on specific hardware and the OS way beyond standard apps plus Rosetta is making certain assumptions about the Intel apps being translated which may not pertain to this particular game. Rosetta is not perfect, but it does a pretty good job for standard apps and that is all Apple can hope for by providing Rosetta for interim support.

It is always up to the app developers to ensure their apps work regardless of what is causing a problem (if it is an OS bug, then it is up to the developer to report & work with the OS manufacturer to resolve the issue).

Certainly you didn't buy this expensive computer just to play a single game. Yes it is unfortunate that the game won't work. This is why so many people keep old computers so that they can use their older software. Welcome to the club.

Final Fantasy XIV game will not work on my brand new MacStudio M1 Ultra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.