Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WhatsApp - silent notification delivery

Hi all,

I noticed this issue about 4 days ago at the time of writing. WhatsApp notifications are delivered 'silently'. I can receive messages from individuals or group chats however, my iPhone XR nor my Apple Watch Series 3 will vibrate when the message is received.

When I receive a WhatsApp message, I wouldn't know if I had a new message unless I actively wake my device to see the WhatsApp notification on my lock screen.

All other notifications vibrate on my watch, unless configured otherwise. I only have this issue with WhatsApp. I have confirmed all settings both within the iOS Settings and the WhatsApp settings are configured correctly. To my knowledge I have not done anything that could have caused this issue to happen.

WhatsApp calls do vibrate and show the caller ID as expected. There doesn't appear to be any issues with people calling me via WhatsApp.

I have tried reinstalling WhatsApp and 'reset all settings' on my iPhone in the Settings app.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Device: iPhone XR iOS 15.4.1 / Apple Watch Series 3 WatchOS 8.5.1

WhatsApp Version: 22.9.76

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on May 10, 2022 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2022 6:37 AM

To anyone that might encounter this in the future, I have found the solution.

I noticed that when my watch was off my wrist in 'lock mode', WhatsApp notifications would come through and notify me correctly by vibrating or playing a sound.

This then lead me to think the issue was to do with my Apple Watch Series 3. A classic switch off and on again has solved my issue. Notifications from WhatsApp now come through to my watch and vibrate as intended.

Odd that this issue only happened with WhatsApp notifications.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2022 6:37 AM in response to CheeseStakeBake

To anyone that might encounter this in the future, I have found the solution.

I noticed that when my watch was off my wrist in 'lock mode', WhatsApp notifications would come through and notify me correctly by vibrating or playing a sound.

This then lead me to think the issue was to do with my Apple Watch Series 3. A classic switch off and on again has solved my issue. Notifications from WhatsApp now come through to my watch and vibrate as intended.

Odd that this issue only happened with WhatsApp notifications.

WhatsApp - silent notification delivery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.