Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing icons on the desktop

I am running Monterey on a 2021 iMac. Some days ago, the "Macintosh HD" icon disappeared from my desktop - I didn't notice at the time, but it has not returned. How do I encourage it to reappear at the top right of my desktop, please?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 10, 2022 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2022 6:39 PM

tonkthomas wrote:

I am running Monterey on a 2021 iMac. Some days ago, the "Macintosh HD" icon disappeared from my desktop - I didn't notice at the time, but it has not returned. How do I encourage it to reappear at the top right of my desktop, please?

It really is a waste of screen real estate and not needed there for any practical purpose; a throw back to days gone by...

Change Finder preferences on Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2022 6:39 PM in response to tonkthomas

tonkthomas wrote:

It really is a waste of screen real estate and not needed there for any practical purpose; a throw back to days gone by...

Change Finder preferences on Mac - Apple Support

Missing icons on the desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.