Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video jerky after adding noise reduction and rendering

Hello,

When I edit the exposure and saturation of a video clip, the clips play back fine with no jerking. However I noticed when I add in noise reduction and render the clip, the video plays back very jerky. I haven't been using proxy clips (I also have much to learn about this), but the clips are optimized. When I try to change the video quality option to "optical flow", all three options are greyed out. It's currently on "normal" video quality, but none of the clips I have been using let me choose "optional flow". I haven't exported the video clip to see if it is jerky in Quicktime. Any suggestions on playing back the clips in FCPX so that they are not jerky? Any idea why adding noise reduction would cause the video clips to be jerky? Here are some specs below:

Final Cut Pro version: 10.4.10

iMac late 2015 model

24GB memory

Video clip is from DJI drone - 4k

Much appreciated,

K

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 10, 2022 10:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2022 9:16 AM

I've noticed this behavior myself. I'm also running 10.4.10 in Mojave on 2017 i5 iMac. It's annoying.

From what I can figure out — it generally only happens with the frame rate of the video clip *doesn't match* the frame rate of the project (and it doesn't happen with *all* clips, so the type of original encoding may play a part in it). Would that be the case here? If so, try applying Modify > Retime > Automatic Speed to the clip.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2022 9:16 AM in response to Noremak

I've noticed this behavior myself. I'm also running 10.4.10 in Mojave on 2017 i5 iMac. It's annoying.

From what I can figure out — it generally only happens with the frame rate of the video clip *doesn't match* the frame rate of the project (and it doesn't happen with *all* clips, so the type of original encoding may play a part in it). Would that be the case here? If so, try applying Modify > Retime > Automatic Speed to the clip.

May 12, 2022 11:08 PM in response to Noremak

Automatic speed just conforms a video clip to the project frame rate. For example, if you have a 25fps clip in a 30fps project, in order to make 25 frames equal the same length of time as 30 frames, 5 extra frames need to be added. Five frames get played and then the fifth frame plays twice to make 6 frames played. Automatic speed just plays all the frames once - no repeats.

When it comes to fractional frame rates (which a lot of cameras still use) the difference in speed between 29.97 and 30 is not very noticeable, but with automatic speed, FCP will not try to adjust the playback speed to match the "fractional frames". [Technically, there's no such thing as a fractional frame, but playback systems must slow down playback by 1% in order to keep time from drifting— and in digital systems, there *will be* rounding errors!]

I also suspect that some people are more sensitive to these frame gymnastics than others.

May 13, 2022 1:30 AM in response to Noremak

I prefer to use Better Performance routinely as playback is improved and any reduction in perceived quality during editing goes unnoticed.

Before I suggested it, I tested a clip with noise reduction added and got smooth playback under Better Performance but dropped frames when changed to Better Quality. . . .however, my 2017 iMac still has its original 8GB RAM.

Video jerky after adding noise reduction and rendering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.