Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut and Mac Mini

Hi I recently got a m1 mac mini and installed FC10.6. The Machine has 8GB of memory and a 1TB drive housed in a usb-c hub. I have found the performance of this set up to be unbelievably bad. I am trying to edit a multi cam 4k shoot and find that the machine struggles to handle even one camera. I have created proxys. and there are no other programs running on the machine. Something must be wrong as it cant be this bad surely! Any advice appreciated.

Regards

Brian

Posted on May 11, 2022 3:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2022 3:58 AM

Hey brain,

I hope this article will help you find your solution: If your Mac runs slowly - Apple Support

There are multiple things that could be going wrong for this issue (annoying I know)! But if the things that could be causing your Mac to run slow is the max overheating, unwell vented area, multiple applications open, but my strongest hypothesis is that because of your low 8 gb of memory the max could start to feel slow, also if you have low storage the max could want to run slow for that reason.

I hope this helped!

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2022 3:58 AM in response to BrianinSligo

Hey brain,

I hope this article will help you find your solution: If your Mac runs slowly - Apple Support

There are multiple things that could be going wrong for this issue (annoying I know)! But if the things that could be causing your Mac to run slow is the max overheating, unwell vented area, multiple applications open, but my strongest hypothesis is that because of your low 8 gb of memory the max could start to feel slow, also if you have low storage the max could want to run slow for that reason.

I hope this helped!

May 11, 2022 7:05 PM in response to BrianinSligo

8 GBs of RAM and using an externally mounted USB connected drive is not exactly optimization for high performance. Can we assume that the 1 TB drive is at least a SSD?

16 GBs of RAM with an internal 1 TB SSD would have been the best way to go. An internal drive connection will always be faster than an external one.

Final Cut and Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.