Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac M1 Silicone - Choppy ProRes HQ Playback

I just received my new Mac Mini M1. Having purchased this specifically for 4k ProRes video editing I was excited to use it. I just copied over my first bit of footage (ProRes HQ 4k 24fps) and I'm really disappointed. The playback in FCP (latest update) and in QuickTime is slow to start and very choppy. Completely uneditable. I'm confused seeing how this machine is supposed to be capable of editing two 4k streams or 8k ProRes footage. What could be the issue here?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 6:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 7:05 PM

Update: I made a stupid mistake. After copying the footage over to my Mac Mini I accidentally imported the footage from the card in my CFast reader into FCP instead of the copied footage. The dropped frames came from the reader's limitations, not the computer's. The footage plays back perfectly without any dropped frames. I'm actually very impressed. If I can figure out how to delete this post entirely I will.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2020 7:05 PM in response to JonRatzlaff

Update: I made a stupid mistake. After copying the footage over to my Mac Mini I accidentally imported the footage from the card in my CFast reader into FCP instead of the copied footage. The dropped frames came from the reader's limitations, not the computer's. The footage plays back perfectly without any dropped frames. I'm actually very impressed. If I can figure out how to delete this post entirely I will.

Mac M1 Silicone - Choppy ProRes HQ Playback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.