Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Self-assigned IP Address (2022) Macbook Pro 14 inch

Hello,

I have read numerous threads and tried almost all the solutions that I can find on the internet.

My situation:

1) I'm trying to connect to my local ethernet at my office

2) I have a Macbook Pro 14 inch (2021) since March 2022

3) Previously I used Macbook Air 2017, with the latest OSX, using a USB-A to ethernet adaptor, connected to the local ethernet at my office and it worked fine

4) Since I have changed to the MBP 14, I keep getting the "self-assigned IP address" on my MBP

5) I have tried all the solutions that I could fine on the internet

6) I have bought three different USB-C to Ethernet Adaptor: one from AUKEY, one from TP-LINK and the latest one from an Apple Store (the Belkin USB-C to ethernet adaptor).

7) The LAN cable works fine. I've connected it to my Windows desktop and also my older Macbook Air.

I am not sure on what to do now. Does anyone have a similar issue and have solved this?

Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 11, 2022 6:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2022 7:14 AM

Self-assigned IP address says, "no one will talk to me and give me a good local IP address." if you have an IT department, be sure they are have limited device attachment to specific, pre-qualified M.A.C. addresses (permanent hardware identifiers).

If you have enabled ANY VPN features "on your own" (NOT institutional connections) remove them, as they interfere with normal Ethernet operation.

Turn off "Limit IP address tracking".

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2022 7:14 AM in response to eqwan

Self-assigned IP address says, "no one will talk to me and give me a good local IP address." if you have an IT department, be sure they are have limited device attachment to specific, pre-qualified M.A.C. addresses (permanent hardware identifiers).

If you have enabled ANY VPN features "on your own" (NOT institutional connections) remove them, as they interfere with normal Ethernet operation.

Turn off "Limit IP address tracking".

Self-assigned IP Address (2022) Macbook Pro 14 inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.