Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn off "Read Receipts" on iPhone

For months now my iphone 11 has sent text read receipts to some senders (but not all) despite the fact that I have the "Send Read Receipts" setting turned off, have turned it on and off numerous times, have restarted my phone many times, and always update my iOS to the most up to date version (currently 15.4.1).

Numerous sites reported that this issue started in January randomly for some users -- I'd love to know status of the bug fix or any other ideas for making it go away!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 11, 2022 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2022 10:26 AM

Hi Dovrldy,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that some of your messages are still sending Read Receipts, even though you've disabled that option in Settings. We'd like to help.

It sounds like you've double checked your Settings to make sure that this feature is off. Since you're still hearing that Read Receipts are being sent in certain threads, it would be good to check the individual thread to see if it's turned on for that specific thread. This could override the one in Settings so it's a good idea to check here too.

Head to an individual thread that is still receiving Read Receipts. While open, tap the person's name at the top of the screen. Scroll down to Send Read Receipts to see if it's enabled or not. If it's enabled, turning it off here should help with your issue. However, if you're seeing that these threads have this feature disabled, you'll want to Contact Apple Support so they can look into this with you further.

Hope that helps!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2022 10:26 AM in response to Dovrldy

Hi Dovrldy,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that some of your messages are still sending Read Receipts, even though you've disabled that option in Settings. We'd like to help.

It sounds like you've double checked your Settings to make sure that this feature is off. Since you're still hearing that Read Receipts are being sent in certain threads, it would be good to check the individual thread to see if it's turned on for that specific thread. This could override the one in Settings so it's a good idea to check here too.

Head to an individual thread that is still receiving Read Receipts. While open, tap the person's name at the top of the screen. Scroll down to Send Read Receipts to see if it's enabled or not. If it's enabled, turning it off here should help with your issue. However, if you're seeing that these threads have this feature disabled, you'll want to Contact Apple Support so they can look into this with you further.

Hope that helps!

How to turn off "Read Receipts" on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.