Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Folder in trash keeps appearing after trash is emptied.

I have deleted this folder (the folder used to be an old git repo). I then proceeded to empty the trash, but after 30 seconds or so the folder reappears in the trash again. I have tried rebooting, repair the disk in recovery, reinstalling the os, but still this folder refuses to be trashed. Also I attempted to remove it through terminal, and restoring the folder and removing it from the terminal but it keeps reappearing in the Trash.

Note: The folder appears to be empty, it has a .git folder in it, I have tried removing this folder and then removing then the folder but to effect.

Specs:

--------

chip: M1 Pro

model: 14-inch 2021

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 11, 2022 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2022 8:59 AM

Thanks John,

I was able to resolve this issue but not this way. For anyone else running into this issue here is what I did to resolve:

The issue was due to iCloud. When I tried to empty the trash on my local computer, some hiccup occurred that did not empty the trash on the remote drive (iCloud). So I signed into the iCloud Drive on my browser, emptied the trash from there, then empty the trash from my local machine and the 'zombie folder' remained buried.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2022 8:59 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks John,

I was able to resolve this issue but not this way. For anyone else running into this issue here is what I did to resolve:

The issue was due to iCloud. When I tried to empty the trash on my local computer, some hiccup occurred that did not empty the trash on the remote drive (iCloud). So I signed into the iCloud Drive on my browser, emptied the trash from there, then empty the trash from my local machine and the 'zombie folder' remained buried.

May 11, 2022 3:40 PM in response to ngrav007

Restart your Mac in "Safe Mode" and determine if you can delete the folder while in that mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support.

Then, restart your Mac normally (not Safe Mode) and determine if it keeps reappearing.

If you do not succeed it may be what I call a "zombie folder". Having created that monster myself by deliberately inflicting harm upon the unfortunate Mac, the only known resolution was to restore a Time Machine backup.

Folder in trash keeps appearing after trash is emptied.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.