Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup with wrong network on iMac and user settings got installed through network, cant log in

I was setting up my laptop on my school net work and I selected the wrong network option that set up with my schools user settings or something, long story short I ended up on a user login screen with the username and password that I don’t know. I called my school tech support and they told me they couldn’t help me and I tried to factory reset but it won’t work. Can I not factory reset before logging into the user? What can I do to restart the setup process on my iMac?

Posted on May 11, 2022 7:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2022 2:56 AM

Essentially, you've forgotten your password: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860

Which network has no effect on local sign-in; that's unique to the machine not the network. If that were not true, a portable Mac would be limited to only its home network and would never be any good at any other location.

You can do this to install your OS: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If you can login locally: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support. << First part. There is also an alternative method listed further down.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2022 2:56 AM in response to Triiniity

Essentially, you've forgotten your password: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860

Which network has no effect on local sign-in; that's unique to the machine not the network. If that were not true, a portable Mac would be limited to only its home network and would never be any good at any other location.

You can do this to install your OS: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If you can login locally: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support. << First part. There is also an alternative method listed further down.

Setup with wrong network on iMac and user settings got installed through network, cant log in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.