Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clunky & awkward menus in Keynote for iOS

Many weeks after the latest version update, I continue to be flummoxed by some of the awkward rearrangement and puzzling changes. This one, for instance. Can somebody tell me why 'magic move' transition appears twice in the menu of transition options?

And why is there an × to dismiss the menu? Normally in the iOS environment, we make menus go away just by tapping anywhere outside the menu. Why does this menu need its own special dismiss button?

And why is 'animate' often relegated to the second "page" of menu options when tapping a block of text? It's got to be one of the most frequently used features in Keynote!

And 'select objects...' has nothing at all to do with the contents of the text box! It's for selection anything in the slide. What's it doing in this menu? It should be up in the formatting toolbar. And why is there an ellipsis after 'select objects...'? Are there more words hiding to the right?

Any why does 'make text vertical' need to be here? You can rotate any object with two fingers; no menu interaction needed. Here, look what I did:

See? No need for the menu to go to a second page and force more taps out of your users. I even kept the useless 'select' and 'vertical text' options and still have plenty of room. Here's an even better idea:

In doing this, I didn't make anything smaller. I moved the slide up a few pixels and made use of the wasted space at the bottom.

I know these aren't really bugs but I need to blow off steam as I've been sitting here doing what feels like 30% more taps in this version of Keynote (compared to past versions) to get the same work done. Sometimes I feel like designers don't even talk to people who use Keynote on a daily basis when trying to dream up what changes should be made (just for the sake of making changes, apparently).

Come on Apple, ask your users what improvements we want.

iPad Air 5 Wi-Fi

Posted on May 11, 2022 9:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2022 5:40 AM

To have Apple see your comments, best to use

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Include a link to this discussion so they can see all your examples.

2 replies

Clunky & awkward menus in Keynote for iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.