Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer keeps restarting

How do I stop the computer from restarting over and over and over again? It's been doing this for years and I'm fed up!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 12, 2022 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2022 7:48 AM

dn4l wrote:

How do I stop the computer from restarting over and over and over again? It's been doing this for years and I'm fed up!

Learn what to do if your computer restarts or shuts down unexpectedly, or you get a message that your computer restarted or shut down because of a problem.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2022 7:48 AM in response to dn4l

dn4l wrote:

Learn what to do if your computer restarts or shuts down unexpectedly, or you get a message that your computer restarted or shut down because of a problem.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions.

May 12, 2022 8:25 AM in response to dn4l

The below is suggested so we can get a better look at both the Hardware and Software that is in play on this machine.

It is not in itself a problem solver but will allow us to possible see what and where the problem(s) are.

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

May 12, 2022 11:50 AM in response to dn4l

No offense but being a Baby Boomer does not automatically make you non-technical. A lot of the volunteers answering questions in this forum are boomers (we have more time and experience than many of the "Kids" from other generations).

Please post your panic report so I can look at it.

Finder -> Go (menu) -> Go to folder -> /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

Press: Command-Shift-period - this will show invisible files. We are looking for .contents.panic

Or any recent file that ends in the word .panic

If you find such a file, please post it as a reply to this thread.

Press: Command-Shift-period again to hide the invisible files

Computer keeps restarting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.